Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Thermistor Hole in Center of MK3 Heatbed

Posted by atheimer 
Thermistor Hole in Center of MK3 Heatbed
October 22, 2015 09:39AM
I'm working on a complete rebuild of my i3 and bought the following MK3 ALU heatbed on amazon.

[www.amazon.com]

The only thing that has me stumped is the hole in the middle. I understand that the thermistor is supposed to mount there but what about the top surface? My plan was to print directly on the ALU surface, will this hole be old open? Can I fill it with a dab of Silicon glue that I used on the other side to secure the thermistor in place?

Thanks in advance!

Andy
Re: Thermistor Hole in Center of MK3 Heatbed
October 22, 2015 10:37AM
Or a piece of Kapton tape.
October 22, 2015 08:43PM
Ok, thanks!
October 28, 2015 02:23PM
Yeah I filled mine with kapton, damn stuff peels off anytime I'm printing a very tight first layer or have changed something and the nozzle clearance is a bit low. Was thinking of either second aluminium plate on top, or glass, but I'm using an inductive sensor. So it's a case of changing to capacitative sensor and maybe using a sheet of printbite which is very good.

When I researched these mk3 beds I was lead to believe they had a pcb for a soldered on surface mount thermistor and therefore no centre hole. But this is clearly just one version.
November 04, 2015 07:28PM
I haven't covered this hole and have printed right over if with no issues... I think it's small enough that the tension in the plastic keeps everything straight
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login