Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

HICTOP prusa i3 Printing weird

Posted by warankarp 
HICTOP prusa i3 Printing weird
October 20, 2015 09:07AM
The last few days my printer has been running into all sorts of issues with my printer. My prints are all over the plate and so random. (see pictures) One thing that has been consistent is each layer is offset from the adjacent layer along the x-axis.

Steps taken:
1. replaced nozzle : as I had been using carbon fiber filament and thought there was a chance of eroded nozzle
2. bed leveling and z-axis height/screws adjustment
3. Checked auto home several times to ensure the end stops are working
4. Printed new and old g-codes to eliminate problem in Slicer (I use simplify3D)
5. Used a different memory card
6. Checked and tightened all bolts and nuts, wiring and pins.

I highly doubt if the problem is with the ramps board/firmware. Also, I changed the power cable from 2-prongs to 3-prongs as the 2-prong was not getting inserted well into the socket. I am not sure if this is a problem.

Let me know what I can do
Re: HICTOP prusa i3 Printing weird
October 20, 2015 09:11AM
You checked all the bolts but did you adjust the belt tension? With such a small print, I don't think the stepper motor drivers are overheating, but check them out as well.

[scara3dprinter.wordpress.com]
October 20, 2015 09:48AM
Evil Monkey
You checked all the bolts but did you adjust the belt tension? With such a small print, I don't think the stepper motor drivers are overheating, but check them out as well.

I did not adjust the belt tension, can do that. How to check if the drivers are over heating ? and should i put an additional Fan in that case ?
October 20, 2015 11:14AM
Where did you get the nozzle replacement for the hictop prusa?
October 20, 2015 11:16AM
Look like loose belt to me. Put finger on drive to see how warm it is. Check voltage on driver. Maybe it needs to be increased. Driver gone bad?
October 20, 2015 11:26AM
eried
Where did you get the nozzle replacement for the hictop prusa?

I ordered the replacement from HICTOP (on amazon)

putzer
Look like loose belt to me. Put finger on drive to see how warm it is. Check voltage on driver. Maybe it needs to be increased. Driver gone bad?

I checked the y and x belts, they seem to be tight. Is there a step-by-step instruction on checking the voltage on the pins ? Have not done this before
October 20, 2015 05:10PM
UPDATE:

The x-axis pulley was the culprit. It loosened on the stepper and hence was slipping. I should have checked, but missed it somehow. I tightened it now, but still doesn't give the tight grip even with 2 grub screws (due to the smooth shaft surface i guess). Should I keep checking on this every now and then or is that a better way to fasten this ?
Anyhow the printing is back to normal.

Also the stepper motors (both x and y) are hot (about 40-45 deg C). Is this normal ?
October 20, 2015 08:39PM
Didn't your motor shafts had a small flat part?

October 21, 2015 12:23AM
erierd, no; just started work on one from amazon; they have two set screws on the sprockets with stepper motors that have smooth shafts.
Something I am looking at; possibly getting out my micro motor and cutting a pair of indentations for a better seat.
Will probably wait and see if it is going to be a problem.
Pat
October 21, 2015 11:32AM
eried
Didn't your motor shafts had a small flat part?

Actually, they do, like Pat said, they hav 2 grub screws, the problem is they are not tightly fixed on to the shaft (being smooth), so over time it loosens. But the one in extruder that holds the drive gear is actually tight. Not sure of the reason.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login