Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Folgertech i3 Prusa dangerous issues

Posted by Cleareo 
Folgertech i3 Prusa dangerous issues
October 15, 2015 07:11PM
The heating element of my extruder is falling out of the heating block above the nozzle. Then the thermistor reads that the temperature of the extruder is only 26 degrees and ramps up the power. I left the printer alone for under an hour, came back and found a red hot heating piece and cracked glass bed. I'm a little scared that it has the potential to start a fire if this happens again. Is their anyway for me to keep it in place? Do I need to contact Folgertech directly and see if they will replace it?
Re: Folgertech i3 Prusa dangerous issues
October 15, 2015 09:53PM
Get a heating block that uses a set screw to hold the heating cartridge. Wrap heating block with kapton tape to hold both thermister and heating cartridge. Read some of the post in the safety area for more ideas.
October 16, 2015 12:52AM
Alright I'll have to get some kapton tape. It looks like the block has space for set screws, but didn't come with any. For now I have duct taped the wires from the catridge to the wires from the fan so even if it falls out, it will just dangle until the machine realizes it's trying to heat at max power.
October 16, 2015 08:07AM
If it has the space for a set screw and it's tapped. Just use a M3 screw of any length In the hole for now.
October 16, 2015 03:50PM
Go into marlin firmware and enable thermal runaway. This is for if your thermistor comes out of contact with heater and will shut it off if there isn't very much temperature change. I would talk to folgertech and get a new hotend as your heater could be unsafe.

Prusa i3 Rework - Ramps 1.4 - E3d Lite6 - Full Graphic LCD Controller
October 17, 2015 10:04PM
madmike8
Get a heating block that uses a set screw to hold the heating cartridge. Wrap heating block with kapton tape to hold both thermister and heating cartridge. Read some of the post in the safety area for more ideas.

The Folger Tech 2020 I have uses set screws to hold both the extruder heater and thermistor in place in the heater block.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login