Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printing moving parts

Posted by imk 
imk
Printing moving parts
September 28, 2015 05:41PM
So am getting a bit more adventurous in my printing now and want to print moving parts like gears, pistons for model engines etc.
I currently use pla and have made a model working engine and although it works fine bearing friction seems MUCH higher that steel. (Although it does seem to run in and improve over time)
So any recommendation re what type of 1.75 filament I should get please for low frictions moving parts.
Many thanks in advance imk
Re: Printing moving parts
September 28, 2015 06:09PM
If your expect from plastic performances comparable to metal you will probably be always disappointed: I don't think you can do more than prototypes (read: toys), at least for moving parts. In any case you should probably have a look at self-lubricating filaments such as nylon or iglidur.
imk
Re: Printing moving parts
September 28, 2015 07:21PM
Yes true plastic I guess will not perform as well as steel. But interesting to note that I just changed the journal size from 15mm to 5mm and little motor runs MUCH faster.
Guess there must be an interesting ratio between journal size and 10mm crank throw where the friction rise rapidly.
Mmmm before I move from PLA I think ill try some different bearing designs and sizes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2015 07:22PM by imk.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login