Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prussia I3 > Extruder Rate / Speed mm/min?

Posted by daggs42 
Prussia I3 > Extruder Rate / Speed mm/min?
September 21, 2015 04:38AM
Greetings All,

1st build with absolutely no experience so please forgive my ignorance.

Everything seems to be working fine except nothing will print / stick to the bed, it seems to extrude OK when testing.

I am using an arduino 2650 +, Ramps 1.4 board & pronterface

I am ticking off a mental list as to why it is not happening for me and going through a mental check list. (extruder and bed temps are fone for both abs & pla)

My question regards the extruder speed,
Any recommendations for what the speed should be?
Where can I check the speed (there is a window in pronterface but I am not sure if that is just for testing i.e. extruding / reversing)
Where can I check the speed (is it a firmaware issue)?
Are the speeds the same for pla & abs?

Any advice would be appreciated.
cheers
Daggs
Re: Prussia I3 > Extruder Rate / Speed mm/min?
September 21, 2015 05:52AM
First of all. The name is Prusa i3 not Prussia winking smiley

Second: Don´t get confused by speed/s and steps/mm. Usually you set a max. extrusion speed once, but you have to dial in the steps/mm correctly.
You can use the triffid hunters guide for that.

Can you tell us, what you´ve done already to adjust nozzle height and bed levelling. smiling smiley
-Olaf
Re: Prusa I3 > Extruder Rate / Speed mm/min?
September 21, 2015 06:39AM
Hi Olaf,

My mistook (sic), my other half has been watching some program about Rasputin and prussia just got stuck in my mind.

The bench I have is not 100% level, the printer is sitting on top of a 20 mm laminated board which is a flat as a surface I can get.

I have used verniers to mechanically align the X axis rods to the frame +/- 0.04mm give or take considering frame and vernier tolerances.

For the Z axis, I adjusted the end stop so there is a nozzle clearance of a business card (approx 0.56mm) at home X-0, Z-0. The other 3 corners have been mechanically adjusted (as close as I can) to provide the same clearance.

My final home set position (in firmware) is X=0, Y=0, Z=0.1 > this probably is going to give me a clearance of 0.66mm off the bed when it starts printing
The nozle diameter is 0.4mm but I do not know if this makes any difference.

Whilst writing the above comments, I quickly scanned through triffids guide and it seems like I still have a lot of homework to do.

Your time and reply has been greatly apreciated, I will digest the guide further and hopefully have a bit more luck nexttime I try to print something.

Regards
Daggs
September 21, 2015 09:10AM
You need to get your nozzle a lot closer. Get it the thickness of a sheet of paper or about 0.1 mm Set your z axis at zero. You're too high to make the plastic get squeezed onto the glass.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2015 09:21AM by tjnamtiw.
September 21, 2015 05:46PM
Many thanks,

As the supplier would not supply enough information, I relied on some assembly instructions I found elsewhere, they sounded confident.

I guess it was a starting point..

Cheers

Daggs
Re: Prusa I3 > Extruder Rate / Speed mm/min?
September 26, 2015 09:18PM
Greetings,
Many thanks,
Now I march on to my next dissapointment.

Gotta love a challenge.

--
Daggs
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login