Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Hobbyist, Printer Troubles.confused smiley

Posted by SkeptikRC 
New Hobbyist, Printer Troubles.confused smiley
August 28, 2015 05:17PM
Hello! I have recently bought a Geeetech Prusa I3 Pro. It came flatpacked and over the past 4 days I have been putting all my spare time in to building it. Yesterday I completed it and was trying to start controlling it through Repetier host. I have a mac btw. This is where my problems began.

I have been using this page as a guide on building it [www.geeetech.com]
When I turn the printer on by flicking its switch I hear a quiet humming which I think is the motors. The led on the board turns on and so does the light on the power switch so we definitely have power. I'm using Sanguinololu or whatever its called if that helps.

Now heres one of the problems, when the printer turns on the Geeetech page says the fans should start but they don't and after a while they both get really hot to touch. As far as I can see the extruder and heat bed don't turn on either. Again I'm not sure if this will help but I couldn't find any leftover plugs to fit in one of the three two pin slots between the motors. Is that an issue? I have the fans in the other 2.

I'm just really confused and would really appreciate some help.
Re: New Hobbyist, Printer Troubles.confused smiley
August 28, 2015 06:48PM
Fans getting hot?
Fans will get hot if they are stalled. Can you spin them by hand? Are they getting stuck on something?
Humming. I don't know about the Geeetech printer, but my Prusa (marlin) doesn't power any motors until I tell it to print something. Maybe the humming is coming from the fans. Can you move the bed and the extruder on their axes? If they motors are on and holding them in place you won't be able to.... not easily anyway.
August 29, 2015 03:03AM
Thanks for the reply, I found out the fans were plugged in wrong so thats all good now, now I'm just trying to make a connection between the computer and the 3D printer.

I'm trying to use mattercontrol to connect to it, I'm using an usb connection. Is the option called /dv/tty.usbserial-A6041ER6 the right connection, what baud rate would you reccomend?
I'm using a mac.
confused smileyconfused smileyRe: New Hobbyist, Printer Troubles.confused smiley
August 29, 2015 05:29AM
I managed to control the printer through the LCD screen. I've read a few guides on how to set this up, is there a simplified version on how to calibrate the printer and do your first print?
August 29, 2015 06:33AM
August 29, 2015 05:39PM
blabbersnitch
Try this:
Triffid Hunter's Calibration Guide

Thanks for the link, would you recommend a program/s for controlling the printer?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login