Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Motors not moving, making high pitched sound

Posted by MichelV 
Motors not moving, making high pitched sound
August 25, 2015 03:35AM
My NEMA 17 (Wantai 42BYGHW811) stepper motors are making a strange squeaky noise when I try to get them to turn (which they don't).

I've checked all the wiring, and checked resistance to make sure that the coils are connected properly. I tried turning the pot meter on the polulu's, but nothing seems to work.

I'm using a RAMPS 1.4 board, with polulu stepper drivers. The motors are NEMA 17, type number Wantai 42BYGHW811.

I've attached a picture of the connections on my board, and also a video in which the strange sound can be heard.

When the 'squeaky' sound is heard, the motor cannot be turned by hand.

I'm really puzzled by this, hope someone can shed some light on this problem...

Thanks!
Michel.
Attachments:
open | download - MotorSounds.mp4 (307.9 KB)
open | download - IMAG2729.jpg (117.9 KB)
Re: Motors not moving, making high pitched sound
August 25, 2015 06:28AM
When you´ve sorted out the coils are all in the right place, switch around the outer two pins of the ( Ramps?) controller-connector.

The squeaking is a sign of one coil trying to run clockwise, and the other running CCW.
-Olaf
August 25, 2015 08:35AM
Turns out that everything was connected properly, but that I needed to set the following define in Marlin, to disable max endstops:

#define DISABLE_MAX_ENDSTOPS

That did the trick. After this, all motors started to behave properly, so problem solved!
August 25, 2015 11:26AM
Try sending "M119" per pronterface to the printer, I´m sure you have defined the endstops the wrong way, so they appear to be "triggered" when they are not.
Are you sure, you don´t need at least one max. endstop?
-Olaf
August 25, 2015 11:52AM
o_lampe, it is already fixed ;-)

I have min end stops, so no max end stops are needed. Everything is working okay now. Just a few more things, and I'm ready to print my first test now ;-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login