Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cast Aluminum Build Plate

Posted by elwood127 
Cast Aluminum Build Plate
August 20, 2015 06:59PM
Hey all, I finally found a company that sells cast aluminum tool and jig plate. They are surplus bought from tooling companies. They are round. I ordered the thinnest piece that is 5/16" x 16.75" diameter. It was $16.00. It;s big enough to get my 8 1/2" x 9 1/2" build plate out of. I'm going to have a local machine shop flycut one side down to 3/16" in the middle of the disk and then have a shop laser cut the middle rectangle out. The guy said that they come almost perfectly flat unlike mill plate. He said that he hones the surface with emery cloth to get it flatter yet. Per DD's reccomendation on build plates and the realization that mill plate is not very flat I think that this might be the answer.
[www.sandsmachine.com]
Re: Cast Aluminum Build Plate
August 21, 2015 09:57AM
Both midwest and mcmaster sell the stuff as well. Midwest has very low pricing and will cut to size. They also frequently send out discount emails.

[www.mcmaster.com]

[www.midweststeelsupply.com]
August 21, 2015 09:32PM
Got my plate today. 2 days from California. It's a beautiful thing and looks very flat.

August 22, 2015 12:25PM
That was a good, cheap deal! Looks nice- you could always use it as is- there are a lot of round heaters available.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
August 24, 2015 09:39PM
dang, i want one thats 12 inches. seems like its hard to find unless its real thick :-/
August 25, 2015 06:41PM
You can have the 5/16" laser or water jet cut but they need a PDF drawing file for their machines. I exported my drawing files as a DXF and coverted it to PDF using an online conversion company for free.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login