Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prints are off-center and scaled down?

Posted by RaShayRitto 
Prints are off-center and scaled down?
August 11, 2015 03:50PM
Hello.
I've been using a HICTOP Prusa i3 kit for a few months now and recently started moving on from small prints. One thing I did to accommodate for larger prints is set my bed size in Cura to the actual dimensions instead of the defaults. All my large prints have come out shifted to the left and front of the bed instead of dead center. They are smaller in scale than what is represented in my slicer (cura and slic3r). They are also coming out scaled longer in the z axis relative to the other dimensions. I get the feeling that either only the z-axis is the only aspect not being shrunk down or its just one more error on top of the other ones. The firmware I'm using was emailed to me by the kit's tech support after the printer was completed.

I've tried setting bed size in Cura back to defaults and using other slicers. The problem persists. Using my calipers and assuming the print is the center of a hypothetical bed, it seems that my bed is being assumed to be around 160mm wide instead of the actual 200mm.

Attached are images comparing how the object looks on a bed of the correct dimensions in slic3r and a picture of what I actually get in size and position
Attachments:
open | download - slicer view.png (34.7 KB)
open | download - actual print.jpg (323.8 KB)
Re: Prints are off-center and scaled down?
August 29, 2015 06:26PM
Is this problem that uncommon? Or maybe I just seem really stupid for overlooking something simple....The company behind the kit has also not replied to me about this particular problem even though they were very responsive with other questions I had. Could my steps per mm just be horribly out of whack in the firmware the company sent me?
Re: Prints are off-center and scaled down?
August 29, 2015 07:46PM
It sounds like you haven't calibrated the steps/mm in the axes yet, and/or the home position isn't at the corner of the bed.

Calibration doesn't matter much if you're printing Yoda heads, but if you want to get dimensionally accurate parts, you have to calibrate.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login