Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First layer always to high

Posted by Andreas15 
First layer always to high
August 06, 2015 12:44PM
I'm building my own reprap, and I'm having issues with my first test print.

I've levelled the bed with a 0.3 feeler gauge, wich went perfect. When I start a print this happens :

All axis home
Z axis goes up
Everything begins heating
Printer goes to printing location
printer tries printing first layer

When he tries to print the first layer, I can see that it's way higher than what I set it onto. How can this be? I tried printing a 20x20x20 cube wich came out 20 in height, so I don't think it's a steps issue?

Hope anyone can help,
Andreas
Re: First layer always to high
August 06, 2015 03:17PM
Because you need to level your Z home to .1mm not .3mm
August 06, 2015 03:18PM
Tried that too, still to high.

I can also see it, when homing, the endstop is pushed in, when printing, it's above the little endstop button. It's even visible with the eye.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2015 03:24PM by Andreas15.
August 06, 2015 04:41PM
Look at the begining of your gcode. What is the first layer height?
Do you see a z offset in there?
August 06, 2015 04:50PM
This is the beginning

;Generated with Cura_SteamEngine 15.01
; Default start code
G28 ; Home extruder
G1 Z15 F100
M106 ; Turn on fan
G90 ; Absolute positioning
M82 ; Extruder in absolute mode
M190 S45
; Activate all used extruder
M104 T0 S195
G92 E0 ; Reset extruder position
; Wait for all used extruders to reach temperature
M109 T0 S195
;Layer count: 250
;LAYER:0
M106 S255
G0 F9000 X71.800 Y71.800 Z0.300
August 06, 2015 06:54PM
Here i have a video. First, it heats up. Then it moves to the bed, but it's way to far from the bed, so it drags the filament with the nozzle until there is a blob of filament and it sticks, but only very bad. Corners are rounded and sometimes he cant lay a straight line. The bed is perfectly level and there is a 0.1mm distance between nozzle and bed while homing. When i start a print it does this.

[youtu.be]
August 07, 2015 12:39AM
This is what I would do:
calibrate the zero height using 0.1mm gauge. Then set the first layer height to 0.2mm for the print and start printing.
Then pause the print halfway through when it's laying down the first layer. Clean out the filament from under the nozzle and check with the 0.3 feeler gauge to see if the distance is actually off.
August 07, 2015 04:16AM
Will do
August 07, 2015 06:37AM
I checked it, and when in zero 0.1, and first layer height on 0.2, it gives indeed 0.3. But that still seems to high. The filament curls up on the hotend and doesn't stick. What could it be then? On my Velleman Vertex. I set zero height to 0.3, and it still prints perfect when I set first layer height to 0.3. I don't know what causes this at all...

Thanks, Andreas
August 07, 2015 09:45AM
Poor adhesion to the bed could be the problem.
For what its worth I heat up my nozzle with it at the homed height so any ooze that comes out the nozzle sits on the bed and forms a plug sort of. I found that when I heated up in the air like that id have to have a larger skit on the part to purge the nozzle before it printed.
August 07, 2015 06:05PM
It's working now! After heating up on the bed and doing the skirt it's ok.

Other problem now, when laying the first layer, every line is allot to far off from the line next to it (perimeters not touching, infill not touching perimeter and infill lines not touching each other. I don't know why that is, my flow rate is already to high!!
August 07, 2015 10:24PM
This means your bed height needs fine-tuning. Play with the Z-offsett if your slicer has that option. Lower it in -0.05mm steps and adjust until the first layer is perfect.
August 08, 2015 06:08AM
Yes. Got it fixed that way. But now i cant use cura. Because it doesnt have this option. Isn't there a feature in the firmware that does the same? I have another printer. Bed is 0.3 from nozzle and its still printing like a charm? I like cura more...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login