Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wade's extruder

Posted by slanwar 
Wade's extruder
August 05, 2015 11:32AM
I just replaced my direct extruder with a Wade's extruder but the motor runs too slow, I have a feeling I need to change the configuration but I can't find any info, I have a Prusa i3.
Re: Wade's extruder
August 05, 2015 12:25PM
I did change the config file and now rotates faster but I have a really hard time to fit the filament into the j-head, I had to take a part feed the filament by hand and then put it back, real pain comparing with my direct drive which was easy to replace the filament, could be my Chinese J-head sucks? If so which I should use?
August 05, 2015 11:04PM
Does your filament get stuck inside the j-head when feeding it? If yes, then that is the problem I had with my chinese J-head. There can be a couple of issues causing it but the bottom line is the same - things do not line up.

I took my J-head apart and found out that the center hole in the thermal break was not in the center, it was off to one side. So I ordered a replacement heat break (and couple extras since they are still chinese)

The second issue is gaps between the nozzle - heat shield - heat sink
First thing to do is take everything apart and clean the threads inside the heat sink and heater block with an M6 tap. Ideally get a tap with a flat end so you can make sure the thread runs all the way inside the heat sink - mine had about 6mm gap between the end of the thread and the bottom of the hole inside the sink.

Screw your heat break all the way into the heat sink.

Next screw your nozzle inside your heater block. Then unscrew it about 1/4 or 1/2 turns. Now screw your heat break into the heater block until it meets the nozzle. This is important part - until it meets the nozzle. Now tighten the nozzle back up and tighten the small hex screws (if your hot end has them) to tighten everything.

Test with a piece of filament to make sure it slides in and out without problems. If you meet any resistance, take a matching drill bit and try to smooth things out. Keep in mind - after you use a drill, you need to take everything apart again to make sure you do not have any debris inside your hot end.
August 06, 2015 09:44AM
Just checked and you are right the hole on the j-head is not in the middle so won't line up, I just order another one but at this time from amazon so I can send back if doesn't work grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login