Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Effector Melted (Power supply problem?)

Posted by greggo 
Effector Melted (Power supply problem?)
August 04, 2015 12:29PM
I had to disassembled my whole effector this morning because it had warped to all hell sad smiley . Filament jammed all the way up to the fitting for the bowden tube. The problem stems from the cooling fan running VERY slowly (orienting the fan face down sped it up and face up slowed it down). I also noticed that the charger that powers my tablet couldn't keep up to demand and was discharging slowly.

So naturally I assume its my power supply, I have the Heater, Bed, and Accessory wires hooked up to the 3 separate posts on the power supply, all reading a perfect 12v. I don't know how to test how much amps its putting out but the hotend was running hot enough to keep the PETG filament hot enough to melt my effector. Is it possible that only one post can't output the amps? I don't know if I should just replace my PSU or test it somehow. Opening it up didn't show anything blown. It was only a 2 hour print i left overnight (and it barely made it through 5 layers or so)

Also, a red LED was lit on a 2w laser cutter driver board i have hooked up to D9, ive never seen it lit before so i sense something f***y went on with that as well.

BTW its a Folger Tech Kossel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2015 12:32PM by greggo.
Re: Effector Melted (Power supply problem?)
August 04, 2015 12:52PM
If you see 12v at the supply with everything on, likely it's not the supply . . . were the supply that weak, nothing would heat! V=IR, thus, if it can't supply current, it can't maintain voltage . . .First, check to cheapy Molex knockoff connectors going into your RAMPS - they are notorious for burning and failing, and causing problems of this type. Second, if position affects the fan that badly, it may just have failed . . .

You don't mention where the fan is connected, but this also makes the argument fonr the hot end fan connecting directly to the power supply . . .

- Tim

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2015 12:54PM by tadawson.
August 04, 2015 01:24PM
the fan is connected directly to the PSU accessory post (and i checked to see if the ground wire or something had wiggled lose but no everything is still connected well) . I tested the fan with a makita 12v battery and it ran back up to full speed
August 04, 2015 03:56PM
Was the effector plate printed out of ABS? If not, that's problem #1.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2015 03:57PM by vreihen.
August 04, 2015 03:57PM
Oops! Double post..... sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2015 03:58PM by vreihen.
August 04, 2015 05:03PM
it was ABS!
August 05, 2015 04:00AM
I have a LED-ring connected to the 12V Ramps post and it flickers badly when PID of the bed and extruders are running. ( I have a 12V 29A PSU )
Although the voltage only sags a little, the flickering showed me that the fans, which are also connected there would get a pulsating voltage that can cause premature bearing failure.
That´s what you probably saw on your fan, too?
Slowing down print fans with a low PWM frequency can have the same effect. Some years ago, this was a major issue in PC-motherboard history: Cooked CPUs from failed fans...

-Olaf
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login