Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Heavy Duty 3D Printer Build

Posted by ffix78 
Heavy Duty 3D Printer Build
July 24, 2015 06:13AM
Hi all,

I am building a heavy duty printer with a printing bed of 350 * 350 * 400mm, the objective is to create a mechanism that is solid, smooth and as precise as possible.

Budget= 2000 Pounds + Free access to CNC'd parts

I have decided to base my design on the Zortrax m200 which is a proven design in terms of mechanical smoothness and precision, upsizing and modifying parts as required.

I have selected 16mm diameter smooth rods and Leadscrew for the z-axis.

The picture shows the first steps into creating the 3D model on Solidworks that I started yesterday, I aim to start ordering parts within two weeks once the full solidworks assembly is made.

Any Suggestions, criticism or compliments welcome!
Attachments:
open | download - Development1.png (153.5 KB)
Re: Heavy Duty 3D Printer Build
July 24, 2015 10:52AM
I suggest that you use fully supported guide rails or linear guides instead of end supported rails, and I would add at least one more drive screw at the front edge of the print bed. Use lead screws and drive them with a single motor to prevent misalignment of the bed plane.
July 24, 2015 03:22PM
Since you have access to Solidworks, I'd draw the entire machine and all component parts to scale using mfg. cad drawings; or recreate .pdf dimensional drawings manually to you SW component part drawings. Building the machine digitally in 3D to exact scale, will help to identify potential issues that you can resolve before committing time and expense to machined parts. Good luck with your project...just know its going to take longer than you imagine, but should be worth the effort if you enjoy projects like this. It has been worth it to me....and I'm still not finished with mine.
July 24, 2015 03:28PM
Similar build to my current project; I am still in the upgrade phase of the project, but prints really nice. Can hardly see the layers compared to my older printers. I am working on increasing the speed yet. I used Nema 17 motors which I am working to upgrade my Y axis to Nema 23 to handle the higher forces when changing directions. Here is my web page LINK with a sudo blog of my build.

I planned on using two lead screws for the Z axis, but once I built the one side it seemed fine. I put a patio brick on the platform and raised and lowered it with no issues. I still think a second one is a good idea though with a belt between them to drive on a single motor like digital dentist suggested. I am not sure how long my bearings on the rods will last with my current setup but going to leave it alone since it is working good right now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2015 03:28PM by AquaticsLive.
July 24, 2015 06:01PM
You can probably afford proper linear rail and a ground ballscrew Z if you poke around a bit.
July 25, 2015 02:50PM
So, if you have ready access to CNC, what use case do you have for plastic parts that justifies a 2000 gbp investment? If that sounds flippant, it's not meant that way. I'm in the process of making a printer because it seems interesting and fun, but I'm not convinced that the parts it will be able to make will actually justify the cost of construction. I'm always interested to hear what people are actually doing with their printers beyond printing test pieces and parts for their next printer...
July 26, 2015 11:09PM
Try this: [enablingthefuture.org]

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login