Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

X Y Error

Posted by wetsparks 
X Y Error
July 23, 2015 05:06AM
Hi all, just finishing the build of my RepRap-esck style printer. Got to the point of printing a test cube 30 mm square. The Z height ended up at 30.03 mm so well pleased with that, but both the X and Y came out at 30.74. These drives are 2 mm pitch belt drives with 20 tooth sprockets and 200 (1.8 degree) motors and the driver at 1/32, the final figure in Marlin is 160 on these axis. What to do now though, reduce the 160 to 150 perhaps ? Any advice would be welcome.

Also, would changing the Nema 17s to 400 step (.9 degree) give any greater degree of print quality?

TIA.
Re: X Y Error
July 23, 2015 11:12AM
Is it 30.74 over both sides? Maybe x and y axis isnĀ“t perpendicular.
Try to adjust the extruder steps, too.
-Olaf
Re: X Y Error
July 23, 2015 11:42AM
Be sure the extruder is calibrated using the thinnest layers you intend to print before adjusting the X and Y axis steps/mm.

The mathematical calculations based on motor steps per rev and pulley tooth counts are first order approximations. Cheap pulleys cannot be expected to have accurate/precise diameters and therefore you may have to make adjustment to compensate. A small error in the diameter (number of teeth notwithstanding) is multiplied by pi in the linear term. If the extruder is calibrated, yes, you will reduce the steps/mm in X and Y to obtain the accuracy you desire.

You might consider printing a larger object before adjusting the calibration. With a 30mm object, the error in your measurement is likely to be a significant portion of the overall error. Printing and measuring a larger object may allow you to achieve a more accurate result.

I use this cube for calibration and for checking the alignment of the axes: https://www.youmagine.com/designs/alignment-and-calibration-cube.

My disdain for dual Z axis motors stems from the time, material, and effort wasted in printing this cube and making required adjustments whenever the X axis becomes misaligned relative to the Y and Z axes due to failure of the motors to remain in sync, or upon a more mundane occurrence, such as a child turning one of the Z axis screws with their unaided fingers.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login