Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Just a thought

Posted by elwood127 
Just a thought
July 21, 2015 12:31AM
Hey all, my I3 has both Z motors connected to one output. It's voltage like all the others was 5.0 volts. Splitting that between two motors can't be good. I've already bumped up the voltages of the steppers to 7.0 volts. What would be a safe voltage for the Z motors? Have had issues with uneven movements making leveling a pain. I'm thinking that the low voltage is not enough to keep them in sink. Nema 17's and Melzi board.
Re: Just a thought
July 21, 2015 01:07AM
If you wired them parallel, you have to raise the Vref ( I assume you meant 0.5 and 0.7V?).
That will push the driver to the limit.
Better wire the steppers in series and keep the Vref at 0.5V
-Olaf
July 21, 2015 04:36AM
If your that concerned about it you can hack annother stepper driver onto your board and drive it from that

Marlin firmware already supports dual stepper drivers for Z axis
July 22, 2015 12:48AM
Yes Olaf I did mean .7 volts. I'm fairly good at electronics but can't see how they can be put in series. Have a schematic? Thanks.
July 22, 2015 01:09AM
After searching the subject and finding nothing it dawned on me that I would for instance connect green to the driver out to the motor and out blue to the green of the second stepper and out blue to the driver. Is that correct? Thanks.
July 22, 2015 02:20AM
elwood127
After searching the subject and finding nothing it dawned on me that I would for instance connect green to the driver out to the motor and out blue to the green of the second stepper and out blue to the driver. Is that correct? Thanks.

I´m not sure about the colors, but if they represent one of the coils ( A or B ) you are right. thumbs up
-Olaf
July 22, 2015 06:02PM
Thank you sir.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login