Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Aluminum Corners for Kossel 2020 from Folgertech

Posted by MarkIngle 
Aluminum Corners for Kossel 2020 from Folgertech
July 19, 2015 09:58AM
Is there anyone on the form that built a Kossel from Folgertech using the aluminum corners? I am trying to figure out how to install the axil (M3 x 25M) for the bearings. The hole on the pieces are not thread so the screw just slides in and out. This does not seem right to me....any help is much appreciated.

Mark Ingle
Re: Aluminum Corners for Kossel 2020 from Folgertech
July 19, 2015 01:16PM
I am using them, see [miscsolutions.wordpress.com]. The top corner pieces come with an idler assembly, which is held in place by a diamond-shaped plate that also comes with the kit. You need to supply two 10mm bearings to complete the assembly. I believe the early metal corner kits were supplied without the idler assembly, but if you ask Robotdigg they will send them on.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].

July 19, 2015 01:54PM
dc42
I am using them, see [miscsolutions.wordpress.com]. The top corner pieces come with an idler assembly, which is held in place by a diamond-shaped plate that also comes with the kit. You need to supply two 10mm bearings to complete the assembly. I believe the early metal corner kits were supplied without the idler assembly, but if you ask Robotdigg they will send them on.

I actually think he refers to Folgertech's own metalcorners: [folger-technologies-llc.myshopify.com]
July 19, 2015 02:44PM
Koenig
dc42

I actually think he refers to Folgertech's own metalcorners: [folger-technologies-llc.myshopify.com]

OK,l confused Folgertech with Robotdigg. I didn't know that Folgertech sold metal corners. My mistake.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].

July 19, 2015 03:54PM
They just started shipping them last week . . . thier supplier was delayed.
If not for USPS missing thier delivery target of yesterday, I would have mine. Alas, tomorrow . . .

- Tim
July 19, 2015 09:49PM
MarkIngle
Is there anyone on the form that built a Kossel from Folgertech using the aluminum corners? I am trying to figure out how to install the axil (M3 x 25M) for the bearings. The hole on the pieces are not thread so the screw just slides in and out. This does not seem right to me....any help is much appreciated.

Mark Ingle

I got mine from them when all they had were a couple of samples. Same thing, no threads for the belt bearing axle or any way to keep the bearings in place. Then I realized that the load would be vertical from the belt around the bearings, so any shaft placed through the bearings really wouldn't be loose enough to come out horizontally. Just for the heck of it, I placed a piece of heavy tape across the screw head as in the picture below. It hasn't budged at all.

Rick
July 20, 2015 12:17AM
Hopefully I'll get mine tomorrow, and can report any changes/refinements/etc. in the final production parts.
Those do look to be far rougher than thier pictures, but then again, those aren't the ones they are shipping either.

- Tim
July 20, 2015 12:18AM
I got mine from them when all they had were a couple of samples. Same thing, no threads for the belt bearing axle or any way to keep the bearings in place. Then I realized that the load would be vertical from the belt around the bearings, so any shaft placed through the bearings really wouldn't be loose enough to come out horizontally. Just for the heck of it, I placed a piece of heavy tape across the screw head as in the picture below. It hasn't budged at all.

Rick[/quote]

I ended up doing the same thing with Gorilla tape!
July 20, 2015 05:46PM
Got the production parts today, and they are the same as yours, plus some chipping on the edges due to sloppy work or dull cutters. The idea that they could have body drilled the outer hole, tap drilled the inner, and tapped the 3mm through the outer I guess was just beyond someone's comprehension. So, now to figure out what to redesign to finish these parts . . . not what I would have hoped for for the price!

I'm wondering if I shouldn't have gone with the Robotdigg parts . . .

- Tim
July 20, 2015 07:01PM
*WARNING*

*WARNING*

*WARNING*

If all the parts they got it are like mine, they are *UNUSABLE* due to machining errors!

When assembling (and I tried three different pairs) the angle machined into these parts was set wrong, and you *CANNOT* get the triangle to close when adding the last
extrusion! Methings that Folger has been bit on the butt by Chinese (lack of) QA . . . Is a 120 degree angle really that complex?

Also, the holes for the T-nut screws are massive compared to what is on the machine. 3mm will barely work . . . they appear to be either 4mm or possibly even 5mm - very odd for what is sold as a
drop-in replacement part for a machine that shipped with all 3mm hardware (and not to provide the *correct* hardware if they knew they were different!).

*BEWARE*

And if any others get these parts, please verify! Folger needs to hold shipping on these if they are all like this!

- Tim
July 20, 2015 10:34PM
tadawson
*WARNING*

*WARNING*

*WARNING*

If all the parts they got it are like mine, they are *UNUSABLE* due to machining errors!

When assembling (and I tried three different pairs) the angle machined into these parts was set wrong, and you *CANNOT* get the triangle to close when adding the last
extrusion! Methings that Folger has been bit on the butt by Chinese (lack of) QA . . . Is a 120 degree angle really that complex?

Also, the holes for the T-nut screws are massive compared to what is on the machine. 3mm will barely work . . . they appear to be either 4mm or possibly even 5mm - very odd for what is sold as a
drop-in replacement part for a machine that shipped with all 3mm hardware (and not to provide the *correct* hardware if they knew they were different!).

*BEWARE*

And if any others get these parts, please verify! Folger needs to hold shipping on these if they are all like this!

- Tim

I had to same problem but I was able to get it together with some finesse and using the long 10mm screws. Let me know if you are interested in the technique
July 20, 2015 11:07PM
What I'm interested in is parts that are made correctly . . . and I am amazed that the samples were wrong, and they made a production run anyhow. Let me see what Folger comes back with . .

I am curious how you got it together without putting undue stress on things, though . . .

- Tim
July 21, 2015 11:47PM
Please post something if Folgertech has some options. I needed to get the printer going so I had to figure something out. I basically used the longer 10mm screw to get the tnut to bite and pull in the corners. If a screw pops it will probably exploded! Lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2015 11:48PM by MarkIngle.
July 22, 2015 12:06AM
Will do!

- Tim
July 25, 2015 10:28PM
Speaking of the threadless shaft holes......I made sure mine were pushed in up to the head and then a dab of super glue just to tack the head in place. It works great so far.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2015 10:30PM by Knicknac.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login