Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Y-Axis Idler Too Tight / Unidentified Y-Axis Idler Type

Posted by leeand00 
Y-Axis Idler Too Tight / Unidentified Y-Axis Idler Type
July 12, 2015 07:38PM
I ordered the printed parts for a Prusa i3 sometime in 2012 and recently started putting it together. I have most of the y-axis setup, but the y-axis idler is too tight; The Arduino Washer which has a Z809 bearing inside of it fits inside the y-axis idler, but it doesn't turn very well, the sides of the Arduino Washer push out against the inside of the idler, causing alot of friction. I haven't seen alot of y-axis idlers that look like the one I have included with my printed parts, so I'm not even sure that I have the right part. I saw one somewhere that sort of looked like it on Thingiverse but it was for a double bearing y-axis idler, and I tired fitting two bearing in there but it isn't wide enough.

Is there anything that can be done to fix this? Do I need to sand down the sides of the idler somehow? What's the recommended method for that? I haven't tried putting the belt on it yet, I don't that would alivate the friction on the sides of the idler though.

Thank you,
leeand00
Re: Y-Axis Idler Too Tight / Unidentified Y-Axis Idler Type
July 13, 2015 01:46AM
You have two options:

1. Saw the holder in two pieces and put a washer between, to widen it.

2. Don´t use the idler, only the bearing. It will work fine with small washers on each side of the bearing to avoid scratching from the bearing on the sides.

You`ll print some adjustable belt tensioners for x and y-axis soon, so don´t be too concerned about the first setup.
-Olaf
Re: Y-Axis Idler Too Tight / Unidentified Y-Axis Idler Type
July 13, 2015 09:01PM
If you can print you may want to try this. It is drawn in inches. It uses shoulder screws for the pivot and the bearing.
Attachments:
open | download - Y axis Tensioner .stl (337.8 KB)
open | download - Y Axis Tensioner Pulley.stl (266.8 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login