Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Puzzled by Pronterface and Repetier

Posted by HSBallina 
Puzzled by Pronterface and Repetier
July 10, 2015 05:20AM
Hi! My apologies if this is the wrong place to ask this.

I just finished building my Prusa i3 and I've been trying to familiarize myself controlling it. Following a guide I configured and uploaded Marlin (current version) and went on to play with Pronterface. Everything goes smoothly except for when I try to test the extruder. The length/speed boxes are disabled in the UI and when clicking extrude I get:

Extruding 1000.000000mm of filament.
echo: too long extrusion prevented

So I went on to try Repetier instead and everything again works fine, except I can't move the bed (homing works fine though). When trying to move the bed this is what I get in the log:

11:17:54.432 : N24 G91 *7
11:17:54.432 : N25 G1 Y0 F3000 *19
11:17:54.432 : N26 G90 *4
11:17:54.432 : ok

Now, I realize there can be endless things coming into play here but I wonder if anyone could at least point me in some direction to start looking for what's going on?

Thanks for reading smiling smiley
Re: Puzzled by Pronterface and Repetier
July 10, 2015 01:07PM
There is a parameter in Marlin to sanity check extrusion - a max length limit for a single G code. You either need to test with a lower number, or simply change the limit if you really need to extrude a meter at a time.

I would have thought that the error message from Marlin would have made that obvious . . .

And I can't help with Repetier - I have never used it.

- Tim
July 10, 2015 02:05PM
Thanks for the answer. And sorry for being unclear. I have no intention of extruding one meter. I'm trying to calibrate the printer so it's more like 10 cm. Problem is, the manual extrude length box is disabled in the UI (look at the attached pic) so I can't set the length :/
Attachments:
open | download - extrude.jpg (27.6 KB)
July 10, 2015 02:32PM
As a safety precaution, you can't extrude filament unless your hotend is heated to at least 170 Celsius. It is a setting in the firmware. My guess is that there is a similar setting built into Ponterface in the event that your firmware doesn't support the feature.

Not sure what the issue is in Repetier-Host. Did everything but extrusion work in Ponterface?
July 10, 2015 02:50PM
I have never seen that feature in Pronterface, and can enter those values at any time.

You are clicking on the field, right, not just mousing over and typing (yeah, pretty dumb question, but being sure . . )

And what version of Pronterface is this?

- Tim
July 10, 2015 04:43PM
Kurzaa
As a safety precaution, you can't extrude filament unless your hotend is heated to at least 170 Celsius. It is a setting in the firmware. My guess is that there is a similar setting built into Ponterface in the event that your firmware doesn't support the feature.

Not sure what the issue is in Repetier-Host. Did everything but extrusion work in Ponterface?

I edited the min temp in Marlin so I could calibrate without having to heat up the hotend. The previous picture is from the Printrun-Win-Slic3r-03Feb2015 version. I just d/l'd the Mar 2014 version and there it is possible to edit the values for both length and speed. And guess what the default value for length is! You guessed it; one meter. Dropping it to a decent value extrusion works fine smiling smiley

The attached pic is from the Mar 2014 version. Seems like the UI in the Feb 2015 is bugged somehow (at least on Win 8.1).

Now the question is what do I possibly lose by going with the older version of Prontface? Though re-thinking I can use it for the calibration and then go back to the Feb 2015 for prints.

Thanks everyone for helping me out grinning smiley
Attachments:
open | download - extrude-old.jpg (32 KB)
July 10, 2015 06:39PM
Sending an M302 overrides the temp limit until the next reboot, for exactly this kind of issue, and allowing you to keep that interlock in place.

- Tim
July 11, 2015 04:28AM
tadawson
Sending an M302 overrides the temp limit until the next reboot, for exactly this kind of issue, and allowing you to keep that interlock in place.

- Tim
Thx for the tip!
July 12, 2015 11:08AM
HSBallina
Kurzaa

I edited the min temp in Marlin so I could calibrate without having to heat up the hotend. The previous picture is from the Printrun-Win-Slic3r-03Feb2015 version. I just d/l'd the Mar 2014 version and there it is possible to edit the values for both length and speed. And guess what the default value for length is! You guessed it; one meter. Dropping it to a decent value extrusion works fine smiling smiley

The attached pic is from the Mar 2014 version. Seems like the UI in the Feb 2015 is bugged somehow (at least on Win 8.1).

Now the question is what do I possibly lose by going with the older version of Prontface? Though re-thinking I can use it for the calibration and then go back to the Feb 2015 for prints.

Thanks everyone for helping me out grinning smiley
Not just win, the osx version is dreadful
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login