Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Oh noooo!

Posted by elwood127 
Oh noooo!
July 06, 2015 10:36PM
Hey, I'm suffering from oldtimers disease. I counted the teeth on my x and y pulleys (18). Turns out they were (16) teeth and then ordered (20) tooth replacements. Talk about screwups. Anyway, I installed them and eliminateted the wobble of the originals. Unfortunately my latest print dimensions are way off. Hole center to center was supposed to be 1.250 inches and printed at 1.570 inches. Obviously the larger pulleys are the problem. I'm using Repetier 1.0.6. Can anyone tell me how to change settings to reflect the larger pulleys? Thanks. Yours truly, Measure twice cut once. Plexiglass I3 printer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2015 10:46PM by elwood127.
Re: Oh noooo!
July 06, 2015 10:54PM
I'm no expert but I think you need to update the steps per mm/inch in firmware.
Try this calculator: http://prusaprinters.org/calculator/
July 07, 2015 02:30AM
Do you also use Repetier Firmware if so the host will allow you to directly feed the correct numbers into the EEPROM (alt-E to access) with 16 tooth pulley the steps would be 100 with 20 tooth ones it needs to be 80.

Doug
July 07, 2015 05:29PM
Well, such is my life, the "Firmware EEPROM Configuration" option does not highlight. It can;t be selected. Now what?
July 07, 2015 09:51PM
Found out that Repetier 1.5 is available. It supposedly added EEPROM settings feature ( which won't highlight in 1.0.6). Donated Euros (again) before download and all I got was an error page. Wrote them and asked for a working download link. Hopefully they respond soon.
July 08, 2015 02:32AM
elwood127
Found out that Repetier 1.5 is available. It supposedly added EEPROM settings feature ( which won't highlight in 1.0.6). Donated Euros (again) before download and all I got was an error page. Wrote them and asked for a working download link. Hopefully they respond soon.

Elwood

Where are you ?

You are using Repetier Firmware and not Marlin aren't you if Marlin then the EEPROM Setting wont work for you so you will have to adjust the settings by G-Code and then save the setting's to eeprom afterwards sorry can't remember exactly how to at the moment but I can look it up later for you if you can't find it or get any other response.

You don't have to donate each time you download from the Repetier page it usually has a download without donating button lower down (normally to the bottom left of the Donate box IIRC).

Doug.
July 08, 2015 11:43PM
Thanks Doug, they responded and said the server was down. Got the new download but it won't let me access the EEPROM either. No idea how to go about accessing the Steps/mm. I guess this will be one of those deals that forces us to learn something new. In the mean time I guess I'll reinstall my 16 tooth pulleys. Brian.
July 09, 2015 04:15AM
elwood127
Thanks Doug, they responded and said the server was down. Got the new download but it won't let me access the EEPROM either. No idea how to go about accessing the Steps/mm. I guess this will be one of those deals that forces us to learn something new. In the mean time I guess I'll reinstall my 16 tooth pulleys. Brian.

Brian

There should be no need to reinstall those 16 tooth ones give me a short time and i'll see what I can find for you it is only a couple of manual commands to get it in.

Ok it is

M92 Xxxx Yxxx Zxxx (where xxx is the steps per mm you need not all need to be specified just the ones you need to change so your command will probably be M92 X80.0 Y80.0 for 20 tooth pulley's)
M500 (store new values in eeprom)

and that should do it for you.

Doug
July 09, 2015 05:37PM
Doug, you're awesome. Only one problem. Where the heck do I make these changes. As you can see i opened the "Gcode Editor" but it shows a gcode from a slice 3 days ago. There are icons that say "New Text", "Save", "Cut", "Paste" and "Copy". At the bottom it shows info after clicking "Toggle Log". There is an icon that says "Clear Log" and another that says "Copy". Thanks for your time. Brian.

July 09, 2015 05:48PM
One note, when I clicked "New Text" it cleared the pane and was waiting for commands. Can it be that simple?
July 10, 2015 02:11AM
elwood127
One note, when I clicked "New Text" it cleared the pane and was waiting for commands. Can it be that simple?

On the Manual tab there is a gcode enter box near the top.
July 10, 2015 05:22PM
Wasn't sure if I needed to send both the M92 and M500 commands sequentially so I sent the M92 first and then the M500. Printed a test square with 2 holes .400 inches apart and they ended up .595 apart. Obviously it didn't take. If I enter both lines of code do I seperate them with a colon or something. Thanks, Brian.
July 11, 2015 01:48AM
Well I think it took. I reprinted a 1 x 1 square with (2) .100 holes .500 apart. The square measured 1.027 and the holes had a seperation of .517. I resent the M92 @ 79.00 and tightened up the parameters. The 1.00 suare is now 1.013. Thanks for your help. Brian.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2015 10:24PM by elwood127.
July 11, 2015 11:06PM
I just printed the bracket that brought my attention to this problem. The holes are drawn at 1.255 inches center to center. The printed dimensions are 1.523. Obviously the gcode changes are not getting through. No idea why the test square printed accurately. I can't find a gcode command that returns the Steps per/mm set on the EEPROM. Not sure how I would do that anyway. Oh well, thanks for the help.
July 11, 2015 11:39PM
Try M503 . . .

- Tim
July 13, 2015 08:55PM
Some firmwares support the M503, unfortunately Repetier seems not to. Thanks.
July 14, 2015 11:29AM
Sorry, I thought this thread was discussing a problem with Marlin . . . I'm suffering from 'thread blur' apparently . . .

-Tim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2015 11:30AM by tadawson.
July 14, 2015 06:39PM
Hey, no worries. I'm the doomas that measuered 18 tooth pulleys (actually 16) and then bought 20 tooth. I guess we learned that the early acrylic !3's with the Melzi Ardentissimo board do not allow for EEPROM updating. Knowing that 16 tooth gives better resolution than 20 tooth pulleys I'll just return to the 16. In case you were wondering, this is what happens when you go up 4 teeth. Thanks to everyone that tried to help.

July 15, 2015 04:29AM
Ah Melzi That explains it then!

don't think it even has an eeprom hence the need to compile and upload EVERY little change that you make.

Doug
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login