Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Print Height Calibration, with Perfectly Level Bed

Posted by Coyote9488 
Print Height Calibration, with Perfectly Level Bed
July 05, 2015 01:23AM
Hey there everyone! Thanks in advance for taking the time to read over my issue, and offer suggestions. I have a Sunhokey Prusa i3 Kit, assembled and working nearly perfectly! I am running into one small issue since I changed to a new hot end (E3D V6). I have previously made quite a few usable prints, but the supplied hot end sprang a nasty leak from top and bottom, so I upgraded.

I have leveled my print bed so the print nozzle ever so slightly touches my print surface when sent "Z-Home"; However, when I send a job to print, the head begins its travel just a wee-bit too high for the extruded PLA to make good contact with the print surface. It just drapes the plastic through the air above my bed, and makes a rats nest. Before I changed hot ends, I resolved this by adjusting my Z-end stop down a bit, so the nozzle applied a tiny bit of pressure against the heated print bed, so that when I began a print, the height was close enough for good adhesion. I'd rather find the source of my issue the right way, and address it in settings or calibration this time around.

Here are some of the things I've checked on, and what I'm using to slice and dice:

I use Cura for model slicing and Pronterface for printing and monitoring status.
In Cura, my filament is set to the correct diameter, 1.75mm as measured with a digital caliper.
I have adjusted my extruder E-Steps to the correct amount, with a 100mm test now within half a mm accuracy. So I think I am getting all the plastic I need. (Side note, my printer will not accept code: M500 to save my manually configured E-Steps settings through Pronterface, which I set through the LCD control menu. M503 returns the correct settings, however. - but that is an issue for another post)

So essentially, I just want my print jobs to begin about .2mm lower than they are. Could this be a function of an imprecise Z axis end stop, or more likely a slice setting?

I appreciate any help you all can throw my way! If a video of the issue would be of help, I'd be happy to take and upload one.

Cheers!
Re: Print Height Calibration, with Perfectly Level Bed
July 05, 2015 03:04AM
You can set it up in the firmware or in slicer 3.

I dont remember where these settings are.
But basically you made an offset. So when it starts to print it will start at that offset.

I know i do this for my auto bed level.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login