Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PLA x-carriage yes or no?

Posted by xile6 
PLA x-carriage yes or no?
July 03, 2015 08:54PM
So i got me a 3d pritner about a month ago.
its an auroa z605.
I set it up with autobed leveling. And i print primary in PLA 185c and bed temp of 55c.

I want to upgrade the hot end from the MK8 to a e3d.

I have tried to print a X-carriage out of abs. But i cant stop the abs from lifting up on the sides.

SO i was wondering if i could have make the X-carriage out of PLA.
I will have the heatshink fan on the e3d running all the time. Then a part cooler blower fan. And i print inside so normal ambient temps are around 70F
Re: PLA x-carriage yes or no?
July 04, 2015 01:09AM
If you're just going to work in PLA (and even some ABS), a PLA x-carriage is well-precedented. If you were going to try your hand at higher-temperature materials I'd probably tell you to keep trying with the ABS.
July 04, 2015 01:43AM
I just redesigned and reprinted my entire three piece x carraige in abs. I was at 230c and 100c and used 20% infill with "Automatic" infill settings which uses the "Grid" pattern in Cura on my Z605. They came out pretty darn flat. Slic3r gave me some lifting problems. I'm using glass and Elmers purple glue stick. Good luck.

July 04, 2015 10:27AM
IMBoring25
If you're just going to work in PLA (and even some ABS), a PLA x-carriage is well-precedented. If you were going to try your hand at higher-temperature materials I'd probably tell you to keep trying with the ABS.
ol
Ok thanx.
Yes i only plan to print in PLA.
The ABS just didnt work for me and i dont really have a need to use it.

I printed out the x carriage out of PLA .3mm highet and 40% infill.
Ill see how it does when my hot end comes in the mail.
July 04, 2015 10:38AM
elwood127
I just redesigned and reprinted my entire three piece x carraige in abs. I was at 230c and 100c and used 20% infill with "Automatic" infill settings which uses the "Grid" pattern in Cura on my Z605. They came out pretty darn flat. Slic3r gave me some lifting problems. I'm using glass and Elmers purple glue stick. Good luck.

[attachment 57515 DSC00478.jpg]
Yours looks different from mines.

But i have no problem printing pla on the metal bed or painters tape.
I use a glue stick on the tape and it sticks very well and easy to clean up. I just replace the tape if needed.

I like the driect exteruder but plan to make it external for better print
July 04, 2015 08:48PM
A bit different. My x carraige parts were the only printed parts in the kit and they were completely slanted and caused misalignment of the rods and feed screws. New design uses (8) bearings and the center section is thicker on the front so that the extruder motor doesn't bump into the right mount. Now the nozzle can go past the right edge of the build plate. I also raised the extruder mounting holes which gave me an extra 12mm of build height.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login