Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is it worth printing legos ?

Posted by qiaoyifei 
Is it worth printing legos ?
June 25, 2015 10:30PM
Hello people

I'm have just bought a pursa i3 from www.3dminions.com. I am going to get started with 3d printing, and the first thing on my mind is printing some legos.

But im wondering :

Is it worth printing legos quality-wise and cost-wise ?

It may be fun to experiment, but if the cost of materials and power used while printing a lego set comes more than outright buying the kit itself, then it would not justify doing it. Especially when the quality is low.

I have seen around good lego bricks which were printed, but most seems to have a surface finish that is not smooth and perfect. The ones printed with 0.1 mm layer thickness are quite good and work very well, but their surface finish is not as perfect as legos.

So i thought i'd come and ask advice on this matter.

Is there anyone have used 3dminion's machine?Is it good enough for printing lego?

Thanks for your responses.
Re: Is it worth printing legos ?
June 26, 2015 12:42AM
I printed a few on my Folger Tech Delta. At .1mm layer height I am happy with the results, but even printing a dozen or more blocks at a time the time investment wouldn't be worth it for me if I were printing a large set.

Have you checked the price of legos in the stores in your area? I only needed about 10 pieces so buying a $20 set to get them is absolutely not cost effective, but that was the cheapest set that had all the pieces I was looking for so YMMV.

I have not used the 3dminions printer, but after spending the time calibrating my delta when I built it, legos print just as well as anything else and interlock with printed and regular legos well.
June 26, 2015 03:30AM
OK!Thank you!I love playing lego!I will try to print a set right noew!
June 26, 2015 03:31AM
jculver09
I printed a few on my Folger Tech Delta. At .1mm layer height I am happy with the results, but even printing a dozen or more blocks at a time the time investment wouldn't be worth it for me if I were printing a large set.

Have you checked the price of legos in the stores in your area? I only needed about 10 pieces so buying a $20 set to get them is absolutely not cost effective, but that was the cheapest set that had all the pieces I was looking for so YMMV.

I have not used the 3dminions printer, but after spending the time calibrating my delta when I built it, legos print just as well as anything else and interlock with printed and regular legos well.

OK!Thank you!I love playing lego!I will try to print a set right now!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2015 03:32AM by qiaoyifei.
June 26, 2015 03:31AM
qiaoyifei
jculver09

OK!Thank you!I love playing lego!I will try to print a set right noew!
June 26, 2015 04:02AM
I have printed a few pieces.
You don't get the quality of the original Lego pieces. I would have been able to get it better with a bit of tinkering I suppose.
Where it comes in handy is if you want a Lego piece you don't have or can't get.
I made a remote control car out of Lego a few months ago. I printed the motor housing so that it was Lego compatible (see attached photo). It worked pretty well.
If I had my 3d printer then I could have tweaked it and improved it, but I was having to use a 3d printer at a Library so didn't have that flexibility.
Having said that, it fitted well enough and the whole thing worked well.
Eric
Attachments:
open | download - dc motor and housing small.JPG (322.4 KB)
June 26, 2015 10:28AM
blabbersnitch
I have printed a few pieces.
You don't get the quality of the original Lego pieces. I would have been able to get it better with a bit of tinkering I suppose.
Where it comes in handy is if you want a Lego piece you don't have or can't get.
I made a remote control car out of Lego a few months ago. I printed the motor housing so that it was Lego compatible (see attached photo). It worked pretty well.
If I had my 3d printer then I could have tweaked it and improved it, but I was having to use a 3d printer at a Library so didn't have that flexibility.
Having said that, it fitted well enough and the whole thing worked well.
Eric
Ok,thank you,I think make lego myself is really fun
June 26, 2015 10:40AM
Take it one step further....

Think about how to design something fun like legos but 3d print friendly, that is something that is relatively quick to print but not difficult like legos.

Here are the problems with legos..

The underside needs support
The pins need to be pretty perfect to fit the next block.
They take a lonnngg time to print

There are other building block style things on thingivers that are cool. I found a triangle shape thing that snaps together and you can make geodesic shapes with it.

Be original dont just print immitations... Invent something smiling smiley
June 26, 2015 10:48AM
thetazzbot
+1
June 26, 2015 11:04AM
thetazzbot

Think about how to design something fun like legos but 3d print friendly, that is something that is relatively quick to print but not difficult like legos.

There are other building block style things on thingivers that are cool. I found a triangle shape thing that snaps together and you can make geodesic shapes with it.

OK.although I am a new player,I want to invent good printers too,I will try
June 26, 2015 11:17AM
Use Legos for what they are good for and design and print parts that are compatible for things Lego doesn't do.

It's hard to make parts that snap to Lego directly, but you can always put flat surfaces on your parts and glue Lego bricks to them for perfect compatibility. Lego makes pieces with flat tops and almost all the bricks have flat sides, so there are plenty of ways to make exotic 3D printed parts that are perfectly compatible using just the most common and cheap Lego bricks.

If you design your parts right, and then glue the bricks to them while snapped to other Lego bricks acting as spacers, your parts can be made to integrate into bigger Lego structures.

I know, gluing is cheating...
June 26, 2015 03:20PM
the_digital_dentist
Use Legos for what they are good for and design and print parts that are compatible for things Lego doesn't do.

This. It will always be better to buy the lego's kit then it will be to print it from scratch. The bricks are mass produce to better standards then you can replicate. However, 3D printing is great for the bricks that lego doesn't make or at least doesn't sell outside of massive kits. In those cases, being able to design and print a block that behaves exactly how you need it to drastically outstrips the drawbacks of printing your own blocks.
June 27, 2015 01:25AM
I can see the usefulness of printing things like gun turrets, space ship stuff that have a lego base, that would be cool. but printing bricks alone is boring.

I may have mis understood the OP's intentions.
June 29, 2015 12:41AM
Printing Lego is a really good challenge to dial in your printer settings. Real lego is moulded to incredibly precise values, and getting a 3D printed piece that will "clutch" well to real lego is a challenge. The studs have to be the right diameter, the walls need to be the right thickness, the interior holes of the tubes inside the bricks need to be right, get one of those a tiny bit wrong and it'll either fall off, or not go on (or snap the studs off when you try and pull them apart!). I've spend a long time printing bricks, not because the end results where better (or even cheaper) than real lego, but because it became one of those things I just wanted to "get right" smiling smiley You'll spend ages with calipers and tweaking values, but it's pretty satisfying when you get it all dialed in and your bricks just click with real lego.

That being said, designing a new type of brick that is much friendlier to 3D printing and as versatile as real lego is an even bigger (and much more rewarding and useful) challenge.
June 30, 2015 02:20PM
My grandson always asks me to print him some legos and i dont because it is a pain in the arse... But i like the idea of using it as a measuring stick for printer robustness.

But i printed him some geodesic connector things that he loved!
[www.thingiverse.com]
July 01, 2015 01:40AM
Those look even more fun to step on than Legos
July 02, 2015 12:01AM
jculver09
Those look even more fun to step on than Legos

LOL, add that to the requirement for 3d printer friendly toys, do no harm to the big toe
July 05, 2015 11:08AM
Can you give me the trigngles?I really want to try it.
July 05, 2015 11:09AM
thetazzbot

Can you give me the trigngles?I really want to try it.
July 06, 2015 12:57AM
I posted the link before...

here it is again

[www.thingiverse.com]
July 06, 2015 02:03AM
Not sure if others' have mentioned it or not -- but there are some cool legos on thingiverse that you can't buy -- weird shapes with angles, impossible pieces etc -- a Han Solo in carbonite brick -- a whole modular lego castle set -- a piece that's lego on one end and knex on the other... -- lots of really cool stuff. -- As for cost effectiveness, I don't know, but I want to do it to offset an existing lego collection with additional cool stuff -- just make sure to print some calibration legos and verify they snap together correctly before printing a big set and realizing they're all .5 mm off or something silly. :-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login