Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Noobs: extruder stepper motor not responding Prusa i3 ramp 1.4

Posted by pbaranyi 
Noobs: extruder stepper motor not responding Prusa i3 ramp 1.4
June 15, 2015 05:15PM
I'm totaly new to electronics and 3d printing and started building a Prusa i3 and got to a point were i'm stuk

Hopefully someone can help me along

All my hardware is assembled and I got all three axis hotend and extruder to work and show up on the lcd display.

The last 2 steps are to get the end switches to work and to get the extruder stepper motor to work again.

i'm using the hardware bought from "http://tinyurl.com/3dprinterPrusaI3" so a ramps 1.4 g3d A4988 step drivers. The extruder stepper motor work once but then stop moving at all. I switched the extruder to the x axis and vice versa on the ramps and the the extruder worked.

Assuming the step driver must have died I switched it with an replacement but still no response.

This is how far I can get with common sence. I hope someone has more knowledge an can help me along.

Already greatfull for even reading this message and hope you can help me. I'm so close but not quit there yet.
Re: Noobs: extruder stepper motor not responding Prusa i3 ramp 1.4
June 15, 2015 05:43PM
Temperature? A lot of firmware will not allow the extruder motor to move if the hot end is not heated . . .

- Tim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2015 05:43PM by tadawson.
June 16, 2015 02:03AM
Thanks a lot for tadawson the answer. As I'm using marlin this will probably be the cause. Can I test this assumption by commeting the "#define PREVENT_DANGEROUS_EXTRUDE" out or lowering the "#define EXTRUDE_MINTEMP 180" in the config.h file?
June 16, 2015 03:19AM
pbaranyi
Thanks a lot for tadawson the answer. As I'm using marlin this will probably be the cause. Can I test this assumption by commeting the "#define PREVENT_DANGEROUS_EXTRUDE" out or lowering the "#define EXTRUDE_MINTEMP 180" in the config.h file?

Exactly!
I would comment out the "prevent...." line for testing and redo it afterwards.
You may want to test Extruder-accuracy to adjust your e-steps. Then you´d have to heat the hotend anyways ( or remove the nozzle )
-Olaf
June 16, 2015 12:03PM
Thanks a lot the "//#define PREVENT_DANGEROUS_EXTRUDE" did the trick the extruder stepper is now working.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login