Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Folger Tech Kossel 2020

Posted by Knicknac 
Re: Folger Tech Kossel 2020
July 26, 2015 06:36PM
Pretty much, or if you have it integrated as you say, open the .stl from Pronterface and let it call Slic3r. Less to go wrong doing it separately, though . . .

- Tim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2015 06:36PM by tadawson.
July 26, 2015 08:14PM
Ok, I've been messin with this all day today. I heat up the nozzle and my extruder motor doesn't respond. I was ready to bring in some filament but it won't jog. It's back on the bench, the motor moves freely so it's not locked up. Only when I completely shut down and close Pronterface, then restart everything, will it respond. And there's no movement. Just a high pitch noise. I took the idler assembly off of the motor and it still only squeeked at me. Does the motor connector to the ramps board have the red wire opposite to the other stepper's? It isn't that way in the Folgertech manual, but i read something about that just now. It talked about how the extruder motor was oriented different on the board.
July 26, 2015 08:55PM
All that will happen if the connector is reversed on a stepper is that it will run backwards. And on mine, they are all oriented the same direction, but I don't recall if I had to reverse it in software or not.

Any chance you have volumetric extrusion set? Try M200 D0 and see if anything changes, otherwise, about all I can think of is Vref for that driver (or bad driver), or steps/mm . . . or possibly a broken wire to the motor - steppers on one coil basically become vibratory noice makers. I ended up running my extruder at a Vref of about .9 - it's in spec for the motor Folger ships, and it runs barely warm. At the stock value, it was skipping all over the place.

- Tim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2015 08:57PM by tadawson.
July 29, 2015 08:15PM
Hello everyone,

I first want to say thank you for all of the help thus far, it's been invaluable to my progress. Tadawson, thank you, I try most of what you suggest and it has been a great help. I see you commenting quite a bit for the things I need to think about and it's kept me moving in the right direction.

So, I'm back to powered up now. It turns out I needed a new stepper driver. I used the extra one that came with the kit. I disconnected it from the motor and tuned it to .550v, as written in the Folger manual, and that got it working. Now, I have a filament feed problem. So, tonight I put it back up on the bench and tuned up the driver to .56v. It's still getting jammed. It was a little better and I did take a measurement but I can't be sure if it's accurate yet because it may be slipping. It's feeding quite slow but Pronterface says it's 100mm/min. Maybe it's supposed to be slow, I'm not there yet. I need to solve this motor problem first. I've been thinking it's a firmware issue, what do you guys think?

BTW,

The PTFE tube is off and I thought raising the motor up would be a good idea to allow the filament a chance to relax or straighten some before enter the drive gear. So, the filament is low, the motor is high, and the filament feeds straight up into the drive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2015 08:17PM by Knicknac.

Knicknac
July 29, 2015 08:42PM
I just took 3 measurements. I should be getting .393 movement, but I'm getting .414
I'm going to look for the formula for calculating steps per mm in the firmware.
So, it's extruding so far, I'm going to try some more at 10mm increments.

Knicknac
July 29, 2015 09:50PM
ok, I got that figured out. It's feeding at the proper steps per mm. It was set at 84, I moved it to 80 and it's perfect. It was throwing me off because it was set as "189/2.25, 189/2.25, 189/2.25, 100". but when I did the math it was 84, so I just moved it to 80 and that's another problem solved.

Now I need to know how to run the auto-level routine and I should be ready to test the hotend extrude. Now what do you guys think?

I'm going to research during the day tomorrow and hopefully tomorrow night I'll be printing a test block, unless you guys have another step I need before I start printing something?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2015 09:51PM by Knicknac.

Knicknac
August 07, 2015 08:10PM
Hey Everyone,

I've been printing away. I don't have any photos up yet, but I will when it's fully calibrated. My first print was a tiny block. I had no idea it would come out that small. Then I took it back up to almost original size and that went excellent. A buddy of mine from work gave me an .stl for a small Cat40 toolholder and that was cool too. Then I printed The One Ring. It was cool, but not so much. I realized that I should probably auto-level the bed. I've been looking for some decent instructions or even a theory, and can't find one. So, I just decided to try it and see. I homed. I entered G29 and it hit the bed. Probably twice. I haven't printed with it since.

Knicknac
August 08, 2015 06:33PM
......?

Knicknac
August 08, 2015 11:10PM
Check the probe offsets . . . and probe function with M119 . . .

- Tim
August 10, 2015 07:28PM
I got that after going to the wiki page. Everything is good, X,Y,Z MAX = Triggered, Z MIN = open. I engaged the probe by hand and entered it again and all were triggered. Then I realized I've been looking at this all wrong. I need to write the program for it using G29 to probe. So, I wrote the program and got it to work. I tried a small print and it seems like it simply lowered Z. Instead of shifting the axis.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2015 08:04PM by Knicknac.

Knicknac
February 19, 2016 04:03PM
Please delete, posted in wrong thread

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2016 04:08PM by ihaveworms.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login