Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can't use 2 Z-Axis Steppers with multiple extruders Marlin

Posted by ConanE 
Can't use 2 Z-Axis Steppers with multiple extruders Marlin
June 04, 2015 01:23PM
Hello, all. I'm currently building a custom 3d printer and I've run into a problem. I'm using the latest Marlin firmware(1.0.2-1), an Azteeg X3 Pro controller board with SureStepr SD8825 Motor controllers, and a ViKI LCD display. The error code I'm getting is the one in the attached file ErrorReport.txt.It happens when changing

#ifdef Z_DUAL_STEPPER_DRIVERS
#undef EXTRUDERS
#define EXTRUDERS 1
#endif

to

#ifdef Z_DUAL_STEPPER_DRIVERS
#undef EXTRUDERS
#define EXTRUDERS 3 //2 doesn't work either. 3 is just the number I need
#endif

I've defined the board as the Azteeg X3 Pro. I've traced all of the directly linked code and I can't find out what my issue is. Any help would be appreciated, and I can attach more files as needed.

P.S. I also have two other, smaller problems. 1) I can't seem to get my ViKI to interact with the SD card. 2) I don't know where to put the black BTN wire from my ViKI to my Azteeg X3 Pro.

Thank you for your help
Re: Can't use 2 Z-Axis Steppers with multiple extruders Marlin
June 04, 2015 02:43PM
I think this part of Marlin is only meant to use the second extruder port as driver for two z-steppers.
-Olaf
June 04, 2015 03:00PM
Yes, that's exactly what it does. But the Azteeg has 5 extruder outputs. There are 8 motor controller outputs in total, labeled from left to right as X, Y, Z, E0, E1, E2, E3, E4. I've messed around with the pins.h (Before making the previously mentioned change) such that the controllers are X, Y, Z1, Z2, E0, E1, E2, E3, and Arduino successfully compiled it, but this section seems to be the only section in Marlin that allows for slaving an axis using a seperate controller. Without this section, it still seems to read X, Y, Z, E0, E1, E2, E3, E4
June 04, 2015 03:32PM
If you were able to assign all necessary pins to X, Y, Z1, Z2, E0, E1, E2, E3 it will only be a question of g-code commands. Marlin will pass the commands to the assigned pins.
It doesn´t care, what function a stepper has. All "z"-steppers get the same treatment ( acceleration/max.speed/ z-steps) and all "e"-steppers follow their rules, too.
-Olaf
June 04, 2015 03:41PM
But when I manually jog, it treats the board's controllers how they're originally set up. That is, with 3 axes and 5 extruders. It doesn't register "z2" unless the define statement in my original post. This is the original pin setup:

#define X_STEP_PIN 54
#define X_DIR_PIN 55
#define X_ENABLE_PIN 38
#define X_MIN_PIN 3
#define X_MAX_PIN 2

#define Y_STEP_PIN 60
#define Y_DIR_PIN 61
#define Y_ENABLE_PIN 56
#define Y_MIN_PIN 14
#define Y_MAX_PIN 15

#define Z_STEP_PIN 46
#define Z_DIR_PIN 48
#define Z_ENABLE_PIN 62
#define Z_MIN_PIN 18
#define Z_MAX_PIN 19

#define Y2_STEP_PIN 36
#define Y2_DIR_PIN 34
#define Y2_ENABLE_PIN 30

#define Z2_STEP_PIN 36
#define Z2_DIR_PIN 34
#define Z2_ENABLE_PIN 30

#define E0_STEP_PIN 26
#define E0_DIR_PIN 28
#define E0_ENABLE_PIN 24

#define E1_STEP_PIN 36
#define E1_DIR_PIN 34
#define E1_ENABLE_PIN 30

#if MB(AZTEEG_X3_PRO)
#define E2_STEP_PIN 23
#define E2_DIR_PIN 25
#define E2_ENABLE_PIN 40

#define E3_STEP_PIN 27
#define E3_DIR_PIN 29
#define E3_ENABLE_PIN 41

#define E4_STEP_PIN 43
#define E4_DIR_PIN 37
#define E4_ENABLE_PIN 42
#endif

What I had done is comment out E0, and assign Z2 as the same pins. Then, for all subsequent Ex, i changed the current number to one less, such that instead of ending at E4, it ends at E3. This verified correctly in Arduino, so I'm somewhat certain that I didn't cause a conflict. However, it does not seem to even try and use Z2 unless you have Z_DUAL_STEPPER_DRIVERS defined. But when you define that, it does not allow for the use of more than 1 extruder.
June 05, 2015 04:48AM
Why did you start a second thread? sad smiley

I use both z-steppers at the same driver. That would help with the actual problem.
Then, there is a line you might want to try out:
#define NUM_AXIS 4 // The axis order in all axis related arrays is X, Y, Z, E

-Olaf
June 05, 2015 02:16PM
Sorry, I started the other thread for two reasons: I thought that I could ask the question more concisely and I felt that this question belonged better under the "general" tab. I'll link this thread on that one, in case this thread happens to be relevant to any other viewers on that one. I'll certainly put this to the test, I sure hope it works as intended. Do you have any insight into my other two problems? The black wire I'm referring to is the "Button" wire here: [files.panucatt.com] The black "circular" pin under the Azteeg X3 Pro diagram. I can't find anywhere that tells me which pin the "button" wire goes to. Also, as far as reading the SD card, does the SD card actually have to have a file on it for it to register? Am i supposed to import another library? Or am I simply missing a define statement? The ViKI just tells me that there is "No SD card found" Thanks.
June 05, 2015 03:57PM
o_lampe
Why did you start a second thread? sad smiley

I use both z-steppers at the same driver. That would help with the actual problem.
Then, there is a line you might want to try out:
#define NUM_AXIS 4 // The axis order in all axis related arrays is X, Y, Z, E

-Olaf

Unfortunately, this is not a fix. I still get the same error report as attached in the .txt file.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login