Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I want to add extrusion rods/ Linear Rails to my prusa i3?

Posted by zastin17 
I want to add extrusion rods/ Linear Rails to my prusa i3?
May 29, 2015 06:46PM
So I made a earlier topic asking this with no luck. Basically I want to add some linear rails instead of bearings and smooth rods. I'm going to also add ball screws and lead screws to all my axis's. I'm basically going to make my prusa perfect. I cant find anywhere with any files that could accommodate extrusion rods. I want them for my x and y axis. I'm not good at design with 3d programs like inventor or any other cad program. Has someone Sean something i'm looking for somware?
Re: I want to add extrusion rods/ Linear Rails to my prusa i3?
May 29, 2015 10:21PM
A quick search shows that Makerfarm has an I3 that is using liner rails... maybe you can get parts from them ?
June 01, 2015 04:19PM
My question is, why?

Why not just take the parts you have and build a proper printer with a proper frame?

I mean, don't get me wrong, I dig my printer (Prusa i3), and have made many enhancements, but the enhancements that really matter are going to basically transform it completely. So I'm thinking, why not start from a better design, take thehardware that I can salvage, and start over...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2015 04:23PM by thetazzbot.
June 05, 2015 09:48AM
Ciao,

check here [www.thingiverse.com]

Alessandro
June 09, 2015 12:39AM
Quick note: When you talk about linear rails, do you mean real recirculating guides like MGN12H's, or do you mean aluminum extrusion like v-slot? If the latter, don't do it. Ground steel rods are much nicer under most circumstances.

Also, why ballscrews? They're expensive and slow (low gear ratio). The TrinityOne Aluminatus is the only printer I've seen that used screws on all its axes, and Trinity has since gone out of business. Just saying.
June 10, 2015 12:50AM
You're on the right path, but be sure to upgrade the frame of the machine to a rigid design or all the fancy linear positioning you buy will not improve your prints.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login