Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder and Heatbed not heating

Posted by yours31f 
Extruder and Heatbed not heating
May 20, 2015 07:51PM
I have a Geeetech Prusa i3. Ramps 1.4 version. The issue is that both the heatbed and the extruder will not warm. LED 2 on the ramps board is lit, and the sensors are reading 21c which is correct. They will not heat from either the repetier software or the screen on the printer. The only other issue I have found is that my x motor will not work. It did earlier, but will not now. Y and Z work fine. This is my first printer, and have followed setup guides I found online, but they were not great. I believe I have it wired correctly, but I have no idea what could be wrong. Any suggestions are welcomed.
Re: Extruder and Heatbed not heating
May 20, 2015 08:57PM
Check your ramps and mega board, one is damaged.
May 20, 2015 11:42PM
What am I checking for? Everything seems right.
May 21, 2015 01:36AM
Good call. I happened to have another ramps, replaced it, now it heats up. New problem, the mosfet on the new board gets very very hot, very quickly. Should the 10 mosfet get super hot in like 30 seconds? (like second degree burns on my thumb hot) if so, how should I cool it? I dont think the fan will be enough.
May 21, 2015 01:56AM
Actually, the x axis was blocking the fans port, but all is good now, except for my x asis not moving but thats for tomorrow. Thanks.
May 21, 2015 02:08AM
yours31f
Actually, the x axis was blocking the fans port, but all is good now, except for my x asis not moving but thats for tomorrow. Thanks.

If you meant the x-driver was blocking the 12V connector on the RAMPS, you might have misplaced the driver by one hole.

It could be damaged now...
-Olaf
May 21, 2015 11:19AM
No the actual axis was blocking the fan hole in the acrillic frame.
May 21, 2015 01:29PM
They get hot, but not that hot, been a Chinese board, the mosfets might be cheap so put a mosfet heatsink on it (few cents in Aliexpress) and a fan constantly blowing air on them. Check your firmware and use PID instead of bang-bang.

About you x axis, could be 2 things: damaged driver, just switched with a driver from other axis and test or the x endstop switch is triggered, run M119 in pronterface and check the status of the endstop.
May 21, 2015 06:15PM
yours31f
Good call. I happened to have another ramps, replaced it, now it heats up. New problem, the mosfet on the new board gets very very hot, very quickly. Should the 10 mosfet get super hot in like 30 seconds? (like second degree burns on my thumb hot) if so, how should I cool it? I dont think the fan will be enough.

Common problem with China built RAMPS.
One option is to replace the MOSFET with a IRLB8743 or IRLB8743PBF and use a heatsink & fan

Steve

My updated Instructable on our Prusa i3 Build
[www.instructables.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login