Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need help sourcing parts and STL files for some upgrades.

Posted by DriftyDave 
Need help sourcing parts and STL files for some upgrades.
May 06, 2015 11:48AM
I built a Prusa i3 sold by Folger Technologies about a month or so ago. I love it and have learned so much about these amazing machines. I have a few updates I have done and a few more I want to do. The printer is working well overall but I have a need to constantly tinker and I'm not ready to move on to the next project yet.

I am looking to install a E3Dv6 hotend. Was thinking that separating the extruder from the hot end is the way to go. What have others done? I'd love some help finding STL files that would work with my setup for Wades and direct drive for an E3Dv6 hotend. Would like to start out direct drive then switch to a geared extruder eventually. What are folks recommendign for E3Dv6 hotends? I found one on Amazon for pretty cheap and I was thinking about placing the order: Sunwin 0.4mm Nozzle Reprap V6 Is this going to work okay or am I better off buying something of higher quality?

The other thing I'd like to work on is replacing the LM8UU linear bearings on at least my X axis. They are just so frackin noisy. I am looking for something under $5 a bearing. I'd love to spend $20 a piece on bearings but it just isn't going to happen, too many mouths to feed up in here. Can anyone recommend a high quality linear bearing that isn't going to bankrupt me?

Here are some updates that I have completed:
1. Printed and installed Extruder for FolgerTech Prusa i3 it works really nicely, and it mostly uses parts that came with the Folger kit.
2. Printed and installed RAMPS 1.4 Fan Mount. Helps keep the RAMPS board nice and cool.
3. Added a server CPU heatsink to my X axis motor as it was getting pretty hot.
4. Added cork board under heated bed to insulate. Went from bed not able to reach 80 degrees to it climbing pretty fast and only running 50% of the time to keep temp.
5. Swapped bed screws and springs to longer ones for bed leveling. Much more play room when leveling. I really like the new springs over the old ones, not quite as stiff.
6. Added the Reprap discount full graphics controller with SD card reader.

Any help would be appreciated!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2015 12:18PM by DriftyDave.
Re: Need help sourcing parts and STL files for some upgrades.
May 06, 2015 01:33PM
My advise is to get the real thing, if you can't afford it get the v6 light version but get the original one. If you still go for a clone, be sure to look online for all the mods needed to get them to work right.

There is hundreds of designs in thingiverse and youmagine for the e3d v6 including fans, extruders and mounts for it.
May 06, 2015 01:53PM
Thanks for the advice. I am noticing that with some of the clones the reviews are very mixed... Some people say they worked great and others say they are a major failure.

I think the number of designs out there is what is so confusing. I was hoping some folks could post links to the parts they used and how well they worked out for them.
May 06, 2015 02:47PM
If you are mechanically inclined, you can get cheap hotends and make it work like swiss clock. But before you can do that you need to understand their working principles.

I bought a cheap Chinese V5 hotend, it was so poorly made that the cooling heatsink wasn't drilled all the way... Go figure. I drill it, re tap it and modify it and now print as good as an original one. The guys at e3d have done hundreds of hours of testing and they do quality control of what they sell, something that the Chinese guys don't do.

I can tell you that for example the PEEK j head that geeetech sell (the one with PTFE liner inside) work as good as the original J head. That most of the problems and bad reviews are not related to the part itself but to the lack of post processing of those parts (barrels not been polished, old and worn taps used, etc).

If you get a clone hotend, no matter what brand or from where you get it, you need to take the time to finish it, there is several videos online that shows you how to polish the barrel, re tap all threads and clean the inner parts of the aluminum heatsink, once done your clone hotend will be as good as any original one, after all e3d guys most likely get their bulk parts from China.....
May 07, 2015 04:02PM
I think I'll give it a try. Just placed an order for a china E3Dv6 knockoff. I'll search for some instructions online. Any chance you have a link?

I found this video on e-bay:Polishing a 3D printer hot end barrel with sand

Also:

3d printer hot end review! All metal hot End - J-Head FIX

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2015 04:10PM by DriftyDave.
May 07, 2015 08:27PM
Finding STL files for the hot end and extruder motor mount is tough. I think I found a good hot end mount here: E3dv6 x-axis mount for Folger Tech Prusa i3

I'd like to use my current direct drive extruder: Extruder for FolgerTech Prusa i3 (v-groove bearing and flat feeder) but I need something to mount the motor to the acrylic frame and something to attach the PTFE liner tube to the extruder. Anyone doing something like this? Or should I toss the extruder and upgrade to a flat bearing setup? I'd rather not cause I like the extruder and I don't want to order in a drive gear and bearing or a hobbed bolt and a bunch of hardware for a wades.
May 08, 2015 10:11AM
I found a nice design that mounts the E3D v6 to the direct drive extruder I linked above: E3D V6 lite6 Mount for direct drive extruder included with Folgertech Prusa I3 kit This might work until I can find a way to mount the extruder motor away from the hot end.

I found the Airtripper Bowden Extruder BSP Edition this morning and may give it a try.
May 12, 2015 10:25AM
I think I got it temporarily at least. I used: Extruder for FolgerTech Prusa i3 for an Extruder and then mounted: E3D V6 lite6 Mount under it to hold the E3Dv6 knockoff. The filament path isn't perfect but I was able to carve the parts down a tad to allow the filament to flow freely into the PTFE liner. I need to finish up wiring in the new hot end, thermistor, and fan.
May 13, 2015 08:44PM
No thoughts on linear bearings? I'd love to find something better but not sure how to judge quality... I may just place an order and see if they run any better.

I am currently printing: Folger Technologies E3D Direct Drive. THis should work much better then my cobbled together direct drive.
May 14, 2015 12:02AM
That last one is a nice design.

On the linear bearings, don't get cheap Chinese ones.

(Really expensive) but the best Japanese bearings in the market:

[www.vxb.com]

Igus bushings:

[www.igus.com]
May 16, 2015 06:41PM
Finally got this new print head setup all printed and installed. It is Sweet!! Love the design and it all went together perfectly. Folger Technologies E3D Direct Drive The first link I posted was for a make, not the original design.
May 20, 2015 10:38AM
ggherbaz
That last one is a nice design.

On the linear bearings, don't get cheap Chinese ones.

(Really expensive) but the best Japanese bearings in the market:

[www.vxb.com]

Igus bushings:

[www.igus.com]

Looking for something in between cheap China bearings and really expensive Japanese. Any thoughts on medium cost bearings?
May 20, 2015 02:01PM
Get the standard lm8uu from vxb or any Japanese manufacturer. Chinese are too cheaply made and the stainless steel ball falls out of the bearings or are the wrong size and scratch against the shaft.

Don't get me wrong, the Chinese ones will do the job, but they will be noisy and sometimes won't slide smoothly.

Other option that I'm about to take is the new filament from Igus, I have made some nylon bushings and the work great but worn out quickly so I'm going to try their bearing filament, isn't cheap but I can print probably hundreds of them with one roll.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login