Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SD card Reader issues

Posted by eviltoy 
SD card Reader issues
April 18, 2015 01:47PM
Hi. I added the reprap discount smart controller to my printer and configured all the relative bits and pieces. For some odd reason I can upload files fine to the sd card (gcode or GCD) but the controller does not find them when I go to print from SD. When I upload the filename appears on the screen. What could it be?
Re: SD card Reader issues
April 18, 2015 03:17PM
Three things to try:

First, if you're connecting to the machine via USB and sending the file to the card that way, you should understand that the printer and your computer can't share the card. If you mount the card on your computer the printer won't be able to use it. Make sure it is not mounted on your computer (pull the USB cable) when you try to print from the card using the LCD panel interface.

Second, format the card with a proper SD card formatter and try again.

Third, if that doesn't do it, try a different, properly formatted SD card. Some card readers seem to have problems with some cards.
April 18, 2015 06:14PM
Thats the thing its not mounted on my pc. I can upload to it from repetier host but the files dont appear in the list. If i remove the card and check it on the pc i can see the files. I formatted both fat16 and fat32 to no avail.
April 18, 2015 06:33PM
No dice tried formatting with the tool but nothing. Can upload fine but cant see it in the list of files in repetier host or on the smart controller menu
April 18, 2015 11:01PM
Try saving a gcode file to the card using the computer's OS, not the host software, then plug the card into the printer and see if you can read it with the printer's controller.
April 19, 2015 09:15AM
No joy doing that either
April 19, 2015 11:24AM
You may have a bad solder joint on the card socket on the LCD module...
April 19, 2015 11:49AM
hmmm ok so it detects that a card is inserted. I can upload from repetier host but I cannot read the files on the card. Could it be that I have an unsupported card?
April 19, 2015 12:10PM
try a different card...
April 19, 2015 12:19PM
Will do thanks for all the help guys
April 23, 2015 12:31AM
eviltoy

If your Full Graphics card is like mine then it won't read the SD card because the contacts in the card don't contact those in the reader unless you bend the card upwards. But don't bend the card upwards, by the way, since I did that with mine and now have a broken 16 GB SD card and possibly a broken SD reader in my laptop because it doesn't work now that I am trying my SD card in my laptop after possibly breaking it in the process of trying to get it to work in the Full Graphics card reader. If my laptop's card reader is broken my so-called budget priced Folger Tech printer just became much more expensive.
April 23, 2015 04:49PM
What are your filenames? I think the SD card software is limited to an 8.3 format, so you want to keep file names short and use a *.gco file extension.

EDIT: And you have to specify the extension. I have developed poor naming habits thanks to Microsoft, so I wasn't properly naming my files when loading them via repetier host.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2015 04:51PM by Kurzaa.
October 20, 2017 05:54PM
Vanbot
eviltoy

If your Full Graphics card is like mine then it won't read the SD card because the contacts in the card don't contact those in the reader unless you bend the card upwards. But don't bend the card upwards, by the way, since I did that with mine and now have a broken 16 GB SD card and possibly a broken SD reader in my laptop because it doesn't work now that I am trying my SD card in my laptop after possibly breaking it in the process of trying to get it to work in the Full Graphics card reader. If my laptop's card reader is broken my so-called budget priced Folger Tech printer just became much more expensive.

I was commissioning my new 3D printer - and I had problem with the Full Graphic Smart Controller I've bought as a combo with mega and ramps.
Initially I thought this is SD card problem, then it is the file format etc. etc. But the card itself worked just fine on my other printer with identical display.
So when I borrowed that display and connected it to my new printer and everything was working fine I knew it is the reader problem.
I started with my multi-meter looking for broken/missing soldering - comparing old working with new bad controller - no flaws were found.

And then I found your comment. I attached a piece of tape on top of the card adapter and it solved the problem: see yourself:
[youtu.be]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login