Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

CoreXY Enclosure - Enclose top or not?

Posted by AlexV 
CoreXY Enclosure - Enclose top or not?
March 28, 2015 09:46PM
Hi All,

I am currently building a CoreXY printer which I intend to enclose. Unfortunately, due to the nature of CoreXY printers it will be very difficult to enclose the top. Is there any benefit in simply enclosing the side and bottom panels and leave top open or will this act like a chimney and let more heat escape than leaving the printer completely open?

Regards,
Alex V

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2015 09:47PM by AlexV.
Re: CoreXY Enclosure - Enclose top or not?
March 29, 2015 01:30AM
Chimney effect is a special case of convective heat loss. Because the air in the chimney is warmer than the ambient air outside, it causes an updraft in the chimney that carries out the air, and the heat with it. You will have exactly this same effect in the air in your build environment regardless unless you put a lid on it. Enclosed sides will not cause more heat loss than open sides but you will lose a disproportionate share of the benefit of enclosing.
March 29, 2015 03:58AM
Enclosing the sides will prevent external draughts reaching the print, which will help reduce warping of the print. It will also reduce convective draughts. So it is worth enclosing the sides even if you don't cover the top.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2015 04:01AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
March 29, 2015 06:27AM
I would close both sides except the bottom, and install external fans to cool with fresh air. With your CoreXY design, it seems pretty easy to me : you can screw pannels with some hardware from your corner squares. Just use pannels that are tall enough to carry a lid a way above the bowden. You may externalize the LCD screen, make a hole for the Z motor and then a cover to enclose it.

Collective intelligence emerges when a group of people work together effectively. Prusa i3 Folger (A lot of the parts are wrong, boring !)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login