Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Metal Mendel Build

Posted by Thorp 
Metal Mendel Build
June 13, 2010 03:26PM
Hey All,

I'm almost finished up with the mechanical end of a metal mendel build that I've been working on- should be another day or two. The second picture is the cnc mill in which I'm using to machine these parts.

I'm going to be need electronics soon. Is their a new revision coming out shortly or should I go with gen3?

[img717.imageshack.us]

[img821.imageshack.us]

Thorp
Re: Metal Mendel Build
June 13, 2010 05:09PM
I'm going to be need electronics soon. Is their a new revision coming out shortly or should I go with gen3?

Difficult to say. RepRap's gen 3 electronics have been superseded by RepRap's Generation_3_Electronics/Tech_Zone_Remix
[reprap.org]

I'd say just use Generation_3_Electronics/Tech_Zone_Remix for now.

I don't know if RepRap will have gen 4 electronics; Zach Smith is now developing in secret and calling everything "MakerBot" rather than "RepRap" now in order to maximize control and revenue:
[wiki.makerbot.com]
smiling bouncing smiley

RepRap, meanwhile, is galloping madly in all directions. Here is one example that some folk are working on:
[reprap.org]
and in a moment I'm going to go do some cheerleading to let Tim know that he and his emc stuff can be part of RepRap if he likes: [bothacker.com]

This is all "in development". Sorry if there is a bit of politics mixed in.

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
June 13, 2010 05:11PM
Thorp, how is the Metal Mendel wiki page, by the way? Do you think you'll tweak it?

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
June 15, 2010 08:40PM
After first searching for Generation_3_Electronics/Tech_Zone_Remix electronics to buy - in a kit or assembled form, I stumbled upon the pololu electronics (http://reprap.org/wiki/Pololu_Electronics) and think I will go this route. I can make a nice heatsink for the drivers if that is their only drawback and I like how it incorporates arduino. I have also used an arduino before and thought it was a pretty nifty, easy to use thing.

I may put my 2cents up on the metal mendel page. In some ways I like my design more and in others I like the design that is up there.

On a separate note, I noticed that a good set of mendel parts is going for over $400 on ebay. Why are more people not printing out sets and selling them? I may have to make a mendel factory- if their are jobs, I will hire them winking smiley
June 17, 2010 03:07AM
Thorp
I noticed that a good set of mendel parts is going for over $400 on ebay. Why are more people not printing out sets and selling them?

Probably because it takes several tens of hours to print a set (I've seen time estimates of 60 to 120 hours), and most people with working Repraps do not risk leaving their RepRaps printing unattended. And there is risk to your Reprap every time you print... and if you are nophead (!) and so you manage to print ten complete sets of parts, which is an amazing feat... you discover that it wears out the belts of your Mendel and they need replacing!

The market is setting the price; it is unfortunate that it is so high at the moment. However, given the time and skill currently needed to do it at all, never mind repeatedly, printing Mendel parts on a Mendel is not a way to "get rich quick" at all. Which in itself is positive, because RepRap as a project is intended to be much more about helping others out (printing a set of parts for your friends or neighbours) and working together to improve things (especially to improve RepRap!), than about "getting rich quick" smiling smiley

Jonathan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login