Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dripping Filament or Slipping First Layer with a Mess

Posted by mardy3d 
Dripping Filament or Slipping First Layer with a Mess
March 23, 2015 02:25PM
Good day everybody,

I am operating a Makerfarm Prusa i3v 10". Where everything went quite well to a certain point, I feel that my print quality is decreasing with effort put into trying to increase it.

Here are my specs which seem relevant for the upcoming question:
1. 0.5mm J-Head nozzle.
2. 10"x10" PCB Heatbed.
3. PLA (idk if of relevance: glow-in-the-dark).
4. Slicing: Used Slic3r mostly and Cura sometimes.
5. Data connection: Used Pronterface.
6. Using PLA: Printbed@80°C and Nozzle@205°C. Comment: As soon as going lower with the printbed temperature, shearing becomes a big problem (and therefore warping). I was really wondering how people print PLA w/o any heated bed.

My questions are enumerated to make life easier:
1. When starting a print, my printer's usual path is somehow connected to homing the z direction when the nozzle is hot and filament is already running out the nozzle. When very close to the surface, filament gets pushed out and therefore creates a drop of warm/viscious plastic which effects the print later on. What I mean with that effect is that the nozzle is dragging some of that plastic to the actual print surface which might or might not be a problem for a certain print; this depends on how big the previous drop-like mess was. How do I avoid that?
2. I suffer from some non-stick issues on my heatbed. Changing the first layer height on the other hand, I come to the problem that filament is only released in small drops so that I don't get a nice filament output. I assume it could be due to a bad flow setting in my slicer.

I am kind of scared of having a semi-clogged nozzle. Can you find any evidence for that in my explaination?

I am thanking you 1000-times in advance,
mardy3d
Re: Dripping Filament or Slipping First Layer with a Mess
March 23, 2015 07:25PM
1. Printing a skirt around the object allows the nozzle to prime and any blobs to be scraped off before the printer starts on the piece you're trying to print.

2. If your filament is only coming out in small drops, your print head is too far away from the bed. The nozzle needs to be close enough to smoosh the first layer of plastic into the bed.

[3DKarma.com] - suppliers of quality, affordable 3D printer kits and filament for the UK market.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login