Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Drawings

Posted by Dibbler 
Drawings
February 10, 2015 04:15PM
Hi,

I'm a new user & i'm waiting for a complete build kit for a Prusha i3 with a perspex chassis to arrive from Hong Kong. Whilst I wait I thought I would build it in Inventor, A) because I needed a project for lecturing with in college & cool smiley because it would familiarise me with the kit before I receive it.

Does anyone have any actual CAD files, rather than stl files. DWG, DWF, DXF, etc, anything I can dimension off, or something with dimensions annotated on it.

I found the scad files, but unless I'm doing it all wrong, I couldn't do much with them; and stl's converted to dxf & imported to AutoCAD/Inventor are very cumbersome.

Any help would be gratefully received, I will of course release all the key files (including a build video & exploded images direct from inventor) once i can find enough info to draw it up.
Re: Drawings
February 10, 2015 08:42PM
Check grabcad.com. I've found a lot of useful models in there. If you find one that you can't open in Inventor (i.e. SolidWorks) let me know and I'll see if I can convert them for you.
February 11, 2015 05:54AM
Dibbler
Hi,

I'm a new user & i'm waiting for a complete build kit for a Prusha i3 with a perspex chassis to arrive from Hong Kong. Whilst I wait I thought I would build it in Inventor, A) because I needed a project for lecturing with in college & cool smiley because it would familiarise me with the kit before I receive it.

Does anyone have any actual CAD files, rather than stl files. DWG, DWF, DXF, etc, anything I can dimension off, or something with dimensions annotated on it.

I found the scad files, but unless I'm doing it all wrong, I couldn't do much with them; and stl's converted to dxf & imported to AutoCAD/Inventor are very cumbersome.

Any help would be gratefully received, I will of course release all the key files (including a build video & exploded images direct from inventor) once i can find enough info to draw it up.

Look at Prusa I3 You might find some info in there that is of use
February 11, 2015 07:06AM
I use Rhino 3D for converting files !!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2015 07:07AM by Chaser30.
February 11, 2015 01:21PM
I redesigned a few pieces, I have the paper from my measurements of the feet here.

The feet are 15.7mm by 15.7mm by 58mm.

The hole for the smooth rod centre is 2.5mm from the top (Makig the edge of the 8mm smooth rod 1.5mm above the top of the foot) and the centre of the long rod is 33mm below that. note that my kit came with an 8mm long rod, instead of the 10mm called for in the original design. The opening for the zipties for the smooth rod are 2mm by 4mm and are 7mm from the top. the smooth rod opening does not go allthe way through, there is a 2mm "lip" on one side catching the smooth rod ends.

The holes for the lateral center 20mm from the top, and 46mm from the top, making them 26mm apart.

From this, it can be gleaned that the Y motor holder has 2 holes which are 26mm apart centre to centre, I had measurements for the center of the motor between these, and forward, but I don't have that paper anymore. I also changed the Y idler bearing and endstop holder to have 2 holes, 26mm apart, and a tension adjustment, with a fixed switch holder for the Y axis. The bearing is at the same centre height as the motor. My memory tells me that it's 7mm below the centreline, (20mm below the center of the top rod) but I could be misremembering.

Different kit manufacturers might use different dimensions, I don't know.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login