Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Using 1.75 in 3mm Aurora Z605?

Posted by Willy_HSV 
Using 1.75 in 3mm Aurora Z605?
February 03, 2015 12:01PM
Hello Everyone! I am new to this 3d print world and I am learning lessons faster than printing objects. I finally had my printer tweaked pretty good and was printing small objects with the sample (pla?) filament that came with it. But I ran low on that and finally received my spool of ABS filament. I made the mistake of ordering 1.75 PLA when I ordered the printer, thinking the printer was 1.75. When I assembled it, I found out it was 3mm. My question is, can i adapt the printer to use either 1.75 or 3mm? My assumption is that I can get me some PTFE that is 3mm OD and 2mm ID, slide it down the core, load up some 1.75 and have fun with it. But being the chicken I am, I want to ask first before I totally muck up my printer from making false assumptions.

Any help? And if it is possible, where should I get it from?
Re: Using 1.75 in 3mm Aurora Z605?
February 03, 2015 12:05PM
To run 3mm filament you need a 3mm hot end
To run 1.75mm filament you need a 1.75mm hot end.

You cannot mix them up.
February 03, 2015 12:25PM
That is what I was reading at first, but then I came upon this page and the seed of doubt grew:
[airtripper.com]

The diagram shows the only difference betwen the 2 is that PTFE tube. Then I started wondering why you couldnt just insert the tube and change filaments.

Guess I see a mod in my future where I put connectors on the hot end so I can unplug it and switch them out.

Thanks Floyd!
February 03, 2015 06:55PM
Do yourself a favor Willy. Master the stock setup and then dabble in new setups. Hang on to the 1.75, you'll get to use it soon enough. I just ordered my 1.75 hotend. 3mm setup is working so well now that I'm almost affraid to try it. Brian.
July 22, 2015 06:58PM
It worked for me, I changed the PTFE tube with a 4mm OD 2mm ID one

there are few problems :

print quality is not that acceptable, depending on the filament quality , better with STANDARD PLA , the one that is hard / breakable
the filament keeps getting out of track from the extruder , because its very thin , you need to print at slow speed , plus find a way to keep it on esp for thick layers (ex first layer)
the filement breaks when there is a lot push/retract
lot of print blobs
etc...

But it works smiling smiley
July 23, 2015 12:39AM
Hi Wily,

Actually, I have tried that what you did. I inserted teflon tube with 4 mm OD 2.5 mm ID and it worked. However, the print quality is not smooth, especially when printing ABS, PLA is still acceptable. I think it is caused by uneven extrusion control. The teflon tube usually gets pushed upward because of pressure buildup when the plastic melts and it gives a little gap inside the hot end. So, you may try to insert teflon tube into it but it may not have the best quality.
July 24, 2015 12:26AM
Some how I hijacked someone elses post. Not sure how my name got on it. Sorry. But I agree, Get the stock setup down and then start diddling. Plenty of mistakes to make and plenty of reading and learning to do between now and then.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login