Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

X Carriage For Box Bearings

Posted by atheimer 
X Carriage For Box Bearings
January 13, 2015 08:11PM
I am looking for an x-carriage that can use my existing box-type bearings as seen in the attached picture.

I've been trolling the Thingiverse but haven't found anything that looks like it will work.

Ultimately I want to mount a Bulldog Lite onto this but first I need to get rid of the metal bracket-x carriage system that my kit shipped with.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Andy
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_0499.jpg (31.6 KB)
Re: X Carriage For Box Bearings
January 14, 2015 05:01AM
I guess there's no xends using that type of bushings. You may design your own on sketchup or freecad. Usualy, that kind of bushings are not useful on our 3d printers for many reasons. First, they take space, too much on regular machines to be used without structural modifications. Second, they brings extra weight, and we don't want that0. Then, the aluminium bushings are good if the fixture point is an issue, for example in milling applications but not on FDM machines. Last, that bushings does not improove printing quality, which mainly depends of the linear bearing itself. Generaly that type of bushings holds classic LM type chinese bearings that are not realy good. I appreciate you bought that bushings and want to use them through...

Collective intelligence emerges when a group of people work together effectively. Prusa i3 Folger (A lot of the parts are wrong, boring !)
January 14, 2015 07:55AM
Well, with these kind of bearings it would be quite easy to just make your own plate out of aluminium I guess? As the bearing blocks already have screw holes in them it should be very simple to use a plate to fix everything. Would you have access to a workshop somewhere in your area?

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
January 14, 2015 11:32AM
Thanks Ohnmarinus and Zavashier,

I appreciate both your thoughts, just thought I'd see if anyone had made one already but it looks like its up to me. I may just switch to the std. circular bearings and a more common x carriage assembly based on the speed and suspected quality issue with the box bearings.

I'm slowly rebuilding most everything from my i3 kit smiling smiley I have to say, adding the e3d v6 hotend has been huge! I've had almost no trouble printing since adding it.

If only the chinese extruder holds out long enough to print a couple of these bigger parts. It seems to get more picky on 1+ prints... I'm hacking a fan to blow on the extruder's gear parts to hopefully sure things up. Here's a picture of my working carriage thus far.. not pretty but hopefully can hold out until I get some new parts printed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login