Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Multi-Color Printing

Posted by Joe2014 
Multi-Color Printing
December 11, 2014 09:28AM
Hello!

I have recently been experimenting with multi-colored printing on my single extruder RepRap Prusa I3. I have been successful in doing this by using a plugin for Cura which at a specified Z-height, the extruder will raise and move to a predefined position, allowing you to insert a different filament. The problem, though is that I have a very short amount of time to complete the swap before all the stepper motors will deactivate. This causes problems because If the carriage is moved, the extruder will not return to the print at the correct position. You could possibly rehome the x-axis, but that still provides some inaccuracy with two different homings. Is there a way in Marlin firmware to say extend the time before the steppers deactivate?

Check out my Hub! logo-heart-30px.png?hubid=30445 3D Print
Re: Multi-Color Printing
December 11, 2014 09:55AM
The easiest way is Repetier Host. You can insert in your gcode a '@pause", anywhere. While you in pause-mode you can send any gcode to your printer.

Sorry, just read to fast...

In config_adv.h:
234 #define DEFAULT_STEPPER_DEACTIVE_TIME 60

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2014 10:00AM by Wurstnase.

Triffid Hunter's Calibration Guide --> X <-- Drill for new Monitor Most important Gcode.
December 11, 2014 10:07AM
I run my parts usually with Pronterface or an SD card. If I add the '@pause' command, will that show in pronterface as paused as well? to then continue the print would I hit resume in pronterface? I'll have to give it a test, but I think the motors would still deactivate after so long of inactivity.
December 11, 2014 12:35PM
This is a Repetier Host function.

Anyway, hope you read my edited hint. Just put the time from 60 to 600 or 900 (15min).

Triffid Hunter's Calibration Guide --> X <-- Drill for new Monitor Most important Gcode.
December 11, 2014 12:38PM
Great! i'll check that out. I just wasn't sure where that setting might be located. This will be much easier than having to manually modify the g-code each time. Thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login