Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Auto Bed leveling Folgertech Prusa I3 question

Posted by Gannicus 
Auto Bed leveling Folgertech Prusa I3 question
December 06, 2014 12:53PM
I know a few of you guys out there have this thing running, and have one quick question.

I've got it all done, when I home with a G28, everything homes as it should. I issue a G29 to initiate the auto bed leveling sequence, and the Z prob extends, triggers, retracts then does nothing.

It doesn't continue on to the other three locations.
Not sure why that is happening. Has anyone run into that?

On a related side note, the plexiglass Y tram is not very good for this is it? The pressure needed to trip the micros switch is so great, the bed ends up pushing down quite a bit.
Re: Auto Bed leveling Folgertech Prusa I3 question
December 06, 2014 05:40PM
Really need some help here fellas.

Here is what I get returned when running the G28 and G29 commands:

SENDING:G28
>>>g29
SENDING:G29
Bed x: 50.00 y: 50.00 z: 6.08
Bed x: 150.00 y: 50.00 z: 6.08
Bed x: 150.00 y: 150.00 z: 6.08
Bed x: 50.00 y: 150.00 z: 6.08
Eqn coefficients: a: -0.00 b: 0.00 d: 6.08
planeNormal x: 0.00 y: -0.00 z: 1.00
echo:endstops hit: X:134.00 Y:67.50 Z:6.08

The autobed leveling procedure doesn't run when running G29 like it is supposed to in this instructional video:

[www.youtube.com]
December 06, 2014 07:01PM
Gannicus

>>>g29

The autobed leveling procedure doesn't run when running G29 like it is supposed to in this instructional video:

[www.youtube.com]

I have not tried it as of yet...
smiling smiley work has been keeping me pretty busy. smiling smiley

holidays coming, so hoping to do it then... what mechanism are you using for the servo? can you post pictures? smiling smiley

Cheers. smiling smiley sorry i know this post was not helpful, i just did not want you to think i was holding back info

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2014 07:05PM by Waltermixx.
December 06, 2014 09:36PM
Waltermixx
Gannicus

>>>g29

[www.youtube.com]

I have not tried it as of yet...
smiling smiley work has been keeping me pretty busy. smiling smiley

holidays coming, so hoping to do it then... what mechanism are you using for the servo? can you post pictures? smiling smiley

Cheers. smiling smiley sorry i know this post was not helpful, i just did not want you to think i was holding back info

Hey Walter!

Here are the servos and micro switches I bought for this project:

[www.amazon.com]

[www.amazon.com]
December 07, 2014 12:56AM
If the tram is being bent by the micro switch it, the micro switch action may be too stiff.
December 07, 2014 09:24AM
jrcaster
If the tram is being bent by the micro switch it, the micro switch action may be too stiff.

A microswitch is a microswitch. They don't come in different stiffness.
December 07, 2014 02:10PM
Yes they do. But you are not going to find them at the 5 for 4 dollar level. Try Mouser electronics.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2014 02:11PM by jrcaster.
December 08, 2014 08:13AM
Anyone?
December 08, 2014 07:32PM
I looked and found a specific mention to disable the Max Endstops. I had teh same issue and could not get G29 to work.

#define DISABLE_MAX_ENDSTOPS

After that the G29 did work the first time once. Make sure you have the z axis well up before you run it and be ready to pull the plug.

After that initial run I ran the G28 and then the G29 and my x started lowering and popped out my X nuts from the nut hole. (I was glad I did not glue them or used a soldering iron to melt the edge of the plastic to fix them in place)

I am now going to look up an emergency stop to see if anyone has produced the code yet. I would rather have the button than a power switch. I want something that will tell the system to stop now... immediately....
December 08, 2014 08:08PM
Nargousias
I looked and found a specific mention to disable the Max Endstops. I had teh same issue and could not get G29 to work.

After that the G29 did work the first time once. Make sure you have the z axis well up before you run it and be ready to pull the plug.

After that initial run I ran the G28 and then the G29 and my x started lowering and popped out my X nuts from the nut hole. (I was glad I did not glue them or used a soldering iron to melt the edge of the plastic to fix them in place)

I am now going to look up an emergency stop to see if anyone has produced the code yet. I would rather have the button than a power switch. I want something that will tell the system to stop now... immediately....

Nargousias...I'd love to buy you a beer someday. That got it working. You are my king, and savior. Have the most excellent holidays!
December 09, 2014 08:44PM
Additional information. I was running the G28 home function and then the G29 leveling function.

My swingarm for my probe is a little long and when I ran the G29 the head started down and I had to unplug several times to keep from a Z head crash.

I noticed that after the G28 the head dropped a bit.... too much in fact. Tonight I made an adjustment to #define Z_RAISE_BEFORE_PROBING up to 15... did I mention my probe arm is long.. Finally no post G28 crash. The Z does go down but now it raises up enough to do the G29 leveling.

Then I went wild and just put it into Slic3r start Gcode:
G28 ; home all axes
G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift nozzle
G29 ; Set Auto Bed Leveling

A little adjusting needed but now my Z axis is correcting for the bed level.

I am not sure about using the end stop limit switch with the metal tab. I might just rip that sucker off and press the plastic button. I figured that leaving it on and having the lever get a more accurate reading would help. When I tested the same point I was getting different triggers as I went up and down. It was only a couple of tenths of a millimeter but it was still variation.
December 31, 2014 07:35PM
I've been so busy during the holidays...but back at this now. I've got the Auto Bed leveling working now, just need to dial in some numbers here and there, but I have another question.

Couple questions.

1) Once the autobed leveling is complete, the head is WAY too far off the bed to print. Am I supposed to manually adjust this in the slicer settings? Or does the auto bed leveling know how far it is, and adjusts before the print?

I'm kinda worried about just throwing a job at it as is.

2) Can anyone explain what the auto bed leveling is doing? I know WHAT it does, but I don't know...what it does.
It grabs the points of the four points of the bed, and the center. Does it do some weird calculations and raise and lower the head based on those calculations? I guess I'm trying to answer question 1) here...
February 15, 2015 10:23PM
Gannicus & Nargousias - I created an account just to say thanks for the helpful comments to get my auto-level working. I was having the same issue as you, Gannicus, and just about pulling my hair out...it's great to have a good support community out there!
May 09, 2015 05:31PM
This is the most helpful post i´ve seen regarding my issue with auto bed leveling. In fact it solved my problem with it smiling smiley.

Thanx

René (Netherlands)
September 28, 2015 12:03AM
Thanks for this thread! Having this in my config.h fixed my issues.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login