Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

E3D v6 Mount for Greg's Extruder

Posted by quillford 
E3D v6 Mount for Greg's Extruder
November 23, 2014 09:26PM
I am looking for a printable mount for my Greg's Extruder and E3D v6. I am using the one here. I have scoured Thingiverse, but currently, its SEO is garbage. Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2014 09:27PM by quillford.
Re: E3D v6 Mount for Greg's Extruder
November 23, 2014 09:44PM
What does you printer look like?

Maybe a quick picture would help.

I have scoured the sites as well found few good ideas, but may need to be modified to use on your printer. If you give me an idea of what you would like I can draw one up for you quick in cad or convert one. My printer has a metal case with a nice lip on it, so I made a rather simplemount for the stepper motor, but looks nice; little shelf in each corner to mount the extruder at the optimum location for the bowden tube to mount to. The hothend mounts for E3D can be a bit tricky with the need a spot for the cooling fan.
November 23, 2014 09:53PM
check out this video

A quick view of an upgrade that looks pretty good on a Prusa, decent ideas anyhow.
November 23, 2014 09:57PM
AquaticsLive
check out this video

A quick view of an upgrade that looks pretty good on a Prusa, decent ideas anyhow.
Bowden is not really practical for me as I like to experiment with filaments including flexible.
November 23, 2014 09:58PM
AquaticsLive

I have scoured the sites as well found few good ideas, but may need to be modified to use on your printer. If you give me an idea of what you would like I can draw one up for you quick in cad or convert one. My printer has a metal case with a nice lip on it, so I made a rather simplemount for the stepper motor, but looks nice; little shelf in each corner to mount the extruder at the optimum location for the bowden tube to mount to. The hothend mounts for E3D can be a bit tricky with the need a spot for the cooling fan.
I will try to get a good one. I have been unsuccessful so far as I have been using my phone as a camera and the extruder is printed in black. I will try to get something distinguishable.
November 24, 2014 09:32PM
I am going to try this one.
November 24, 2014 09:34PM
I print Ninja Flex with my bowden, actually it prints it a little better with bowden, and I can run it a little faster. Not sure if you have tried it, but with my direct drive I set all the speeds at 15mm/s in slic3r and worked good, it was a suggestion I found online. Now with my bowden I print it at 20mm/s not great speed, but it really prints nice which is always my goal.

The less weight on the printhead really makes a big difference in how even the layers are; less ripples in the printed wall. Also the All metal hotends make the extruder motor get really warm even with fans.

Swapping filiments with direct drive is much easier though I understand that. I have one direct drive design I will have to redraw because I lost the files, but essentially the stepper motor mounts to the x-carriage with the bottom two screws and the top two hold a pinch arm and guide for the filament really simple and clean.
Link to DropBox old x-carriage
Link to extruder

The extruder pic, if you remove the piece the the bowden tube is connected it bolt right on to the top of the orange X-carriage. I can swap it back and forth depending on what I am printing.

I also have a dual design of that one just snaps off the LM8UU bearings to swap them back and forth, but with the dual one there is no room to mount the extruder motors so when I use that one its bowden only, which really is necessary when you have two the heat gets way to high for the motors to live very long.
November 24, 2014 10:13PM
quillford
I am going to try this one.
Unfortunately, it did not even fit around the hot end.
November 24, 2014 10:20PM
AquaticsLive
I print Ninja Flex with my bowden, actually it prints it a little better with bowden, and I can run it a little faster. Not sure if you have tried it, but with my direct drive I set all the speeds at 15mm/s in slic3r and worked good, it was a suggestion I found online. Now with my bowden I print it at 20mm/s not great speed, but it really prints nice which is always my goal.

The less weight on the printhead really makes a big difference in how even the layers are; less ripples in the printed wall. Also the All metal hotends make the extruder motor get really warm even with fans.

Swapping filiments with direct drive is much easier though I understand that. I have one direct drive design I will have to redraw because I lost the files, but essentially the stepper motor mounts to the x-carriage with the bottom two screws and the top two hold a pinch arm and guide for the filament really simple and clean.
Link to DropBox old x-carriage
Link to extruder

The extruder pic, if you remove the piece the the bowden tube is connected it bolt right on to the top of the orange X-carriage. I can swap it back and forth depending on what I am printing.

I also have a dual design of that one just snaps off the LM8UU bearings to swap them back and forth, but with the dual one there is no room to mount the extruder motors so when I use that one its bowden only, which really is necessary when you have two the heat gets way to high for the motors to live very long.
I want to get direct working first. I have no experience with Bowden.
November 24, 2014 11:59PM
AquaticsLive

I hope these are clear enough. The hot end goes into the hole in the greg's extruder, but there is nothing to keep it held up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2014 12:01AM by quillford.
November 25, 2014 02:56AM
quillford
AquaticsLive

I hope these are clear enough. The hot end goes into the hole in the greg's extruder, but there is nothing to keep it held up.

I have one like that and you don't need to print anything for it I will post a pic of mine a little later!

You will need a M5 Washer to fit above the E3D oh and if your Wades body hasn't been modded it helps to drill out the lower Filament guide hole to 4mm (Or 4.1) so that you can run some PTFE Tube (4mm od 2mm id for 1.75mm filament) straight thru the whole assembly shape the top to slope same as the wades body. you then hold the E3D to the body with 2 M3 screws which you will see in my Photo when I post it!

HTH

Doug

p.s. Found this on E3d's website E3D V6 mounting plate

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2014 05:01AM by dougal1957.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_0356.JPG (216.2 KB)
open | download - IMG_0357.JPG (231.1 KB)
November 25, 2014 09:21AM
I had done this up for my v5 E3D hot end...
[www.thingiverse.com]
November 25, 2014 12:47PM
dougal1957
quillford
AquaticsLive

I have one like that and you don't need to print anything for it I will post a pic of mine a little later!

You will need a M5 Washer to fit above the E3D oh and if your Wades body hasn't been modded it helps to drill out the lower Filament guide hole to 4mm (Or 4.1) so that you can run some PTFE Tube (4mm od 2mm id for 1.75mm filament) straight thru the whole assembly shape the top to slope same as the wades body. you then hold the E3D to the body with 2 M3 screws which you will see in my Photo when I post it!

HTH

Doug

I did drill a hole to allow the tubing to go up to the Hobbed bolt. For mounting, did you simply drill holes were it would hold the hot end?
November 25, 2014 01:01PM
quillford
dougal1957
quillford
AquaticsLive

HTH

Doug

I did drill a hole to allow the tubing to go up to the Hobbed bolt. For mounting, did you simply drill holes were it would hold the hot end?

No need they were already there and they appear to be on yours to but can't be certain as pic is a little blurred they are for M3 screws on mine.

Doug
November 25, 2014 01:15PM
I have considered going bowden with my V6 because the wades was just so heavy and it bounces around on the x carriage. But just halving jerk in firmware took care of a lot of that problem so if you run into a lot of shaking in your x axis try turning down jerk first.

If I end up going back to bowden(I tried it before the wades with a V5 and direct drive and it was not working) I will be figuring out how to mount the wades to my box frame Prusa i3.
November 25, 2014 08:02PM
dougal1957
quillford
dougal1957
quillford
AquaticsLive

HTH

Doug

No need they were already there and they appear to be on yours to but can't be certain as pic is a little blurred they are for M3 screws on mine.

Doug
I found them. I am trying to mount it, but I am having trouble keeping the hot end straight.
November 26, 2014 02:59AM
quillford
dougal1957
quillford
dougal1957
quillford
AquaticsLive

HTH

Doug

Doug
I found them. I am trying to mount it, but I am having trouble keeping the hot end straight.

I had the same issue until I got some Bowden adapters for my Wades and they came with thin (About 0.5 mm or so) flat washers prob an M5 or M6 put one of them above the E3D (Over the PTFE tube) having first removed the plastic tube retainer from the E3D heatsink.

Then make sure the retaining screws will go thro the wades past the mount hole so that they are supported both side of the hotend and it should be pretty solid mine is but wasn't without the washer I may have a spare washer thinking about it that I can Measure and give you exact sizes i'll see if I can find it later and will modify this post with details!

Doug

edit washer is 15x5.3x1.3mm which looks to be a M5 Penny Washer one of these above the E3D v6 firms it up nicely.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2014 04:12AM by dougal1957.
November 30, 2014 04:42PM
dougal1957
quillford
dougal1957
quillford
dougal1957
quillford
AquaticsLive

HTH

Doug

Doug

I had the same issue until I got some Bowden adapters for my Wades and they came with thin (About 0.5 mm or so) flat washers prob an M5 or M6 put one of them above the E3D (Over the PTFE tube) having first removed the plastic tube retainer from the E3D heatsink.

Then make sure the retaining screws will go thro the wades past the mount hole so that they are supported both side of the hotend and it should be pretty solid mine is but wasn't without the washer I may have a spare washer thinking about it that I can Measure and give you exact sizes i'll see if I can find it later and will modify this post with details!

Doug

edit washer is 15x5.3x1.3mm which looks to be a M5 Penny Washer one of these above the E3D v6 firms it up nicely.
I got it printing perfectly without the washer. Thanks. So far I have reached 110mm/s.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login