Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

i3 Z Motor Problem "wierd noise"

Posted by Paarthurnax 
i3 Z Motor Problem "wierd noise"
October 28, 2014 03:50PM
On my i3 printer one of ZMotor is making wierd noise.I have already checked with another spare stepper motor, checked with another stepper driver. Same problem still exists.

Tried to reduce or increase current value. If its too reduced it wont run. If its too increased it starts beeping and locking.

Between if i plug 1xZMotor everthing is fine. It only occurs when i use 2xZMotor.

I really couldnt understand, if its about driver or motor.

Here is the link
[www.youtube.com]
Re: i3 Z Motor Problem "wierd noise"
November 01, 2014 07:26AM
Does the motor make noise when you tilt it?

Tuning the motor drivers is pretty easy:

1. Use pronterface to make the Z motor move in any direction
2.while the motor is "moving" Turn the "tuning-pot" anti-clockwise until the motor stops moving/make noise.
3. Press to move the Z motors again and turn up the current (clockwise) on the driver until the motor starts to move smoothly without noise.

If the motor still acts weird make sure the cables are plugged in right (shouldn't be the problem but you never know smiling smiley.

Good luck!
Re: i3 Z Motor Problem "wierd noise"
November 09, 2014 01:42PM
Hey,

If you are using a RAMPS 1.4 and Marlin, I would recommend trying to setup each Z motor on it's own driver - you can use the second extruder driver for this ( at least temporarily ). On my box frame i3 this is what I ended up having to do in order to get the z working smoothly with 2 motors - could be the motors I chose for my build were the issue - being that one driver was not enough to power both, etc... The main issue for me with this setup is that at some point I'd like to run 2 extruders, but that is something I'll tackle in the future smiling smiley

In Marlin you'd edit 'Configuration_adv.h" and enable 'Z_DUAL_STEPPER_DRIVERS' as follows:

---

#define Z_DUAL_STEPPER_DRIVERS

#ifdef Z_DUAL_STEPPER_DRIVERS
#undef EXTRUDERS
#define EXTRUDERS 1
#endif

---

Anyways, hope this helps - let me know for sure if it makes a difference.

Cheers,
Morgan

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2014 01:43PM by morgandemers.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login