Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sanguinololu Bootloader Burned?

Posted by Cineman05 
Sanguinololu Bootloader Burned?
September 28, 2014 05:43PM
Hi! Long time reader, but still new to this whole thing.

I have a Sanguinololu Rev 1.3a with ATMega1284p and I am wondering if it came with a bootloader on it... (I purchased it assembled)
I have tried multiple times to upload Splinter (with jumper over reset) but I get no flashes from the LED or anything and then the program on my PC just times out.
I'm getting no evidence that my PC is even communicating with the board.

Before I started attempting to upload, I did notice that if I leave the power on the board (before USB connection), the steppers will cycle. All 4, go back and forth. Was this done by the distributor of the board? Is this evidence of some software already on the chip?

Thank you in advance for the help!!
Re: Sanguinololu Bootloader Burned?
September 29, 2014 09:25PM
The bootloader should be on there and the if you're trying the blinking example that wont work on the sanguino. Are you sure the firmware is uploaded correctly? the board producer has probably the best fitting version. my botroniczs board only ran with the botroniczs branch of the firmware.
September 30, 2014 09:28AM
Thanks for the reply.

I know, shame on me, but I got the board from China on Ebay, so who knows what it actually has on it. I have already had to rotate the power plug by 180deg because it was in the wrong position and shorting out...

So I can't find any documentation that actually says that it has a bootloader on it.

Knowing the heartbeat blink should not be expected is a comfort. Having the steppers cycle also gives me the hint that it has something loaded.

I have been trying to upload splinter but have been getting sync errors or timeouts. I have been placing a jumper on the reset prongs so it holds on reset.
I've tried Teacup and Splinter.

So your botroniczs only ran their firmware? Is that normal? Maybe I could give Marlin a try...
September 30, 2014 09:40AM
Marlin sprinter doesnt make a difference and its not said that the official version wont work they just give some syntax errors which one can probably work around. Sometimes its also tied to one specific Arduino IDE version.

Time out can be a lot of things I got it always as long as I didnt have the right firmware and IDE versions.
The cycling I dont now, does it look like controlled movement or is it more a jitter?
And the reset pin shouldnt matter as well its only for old versions that you have to press it to upload. With my old Sanguinololu from two years ago I didnt have to do it.

I would try contacting the producer and if that doesnt work try different arduino libraries (you know that the IDE doesnt not support sanguino right away right?) and other firmware versions.
September 30, 2014 10:18AM
The cycling is not a jitter. Each axis will move 1-2 rotations, then return, and repeat until I unplug it.

Yes, I downloaded a library that included the Gen 7 ATMega 1284P which I have.
But maybe I need a more accurate one that supports sanguino.
That may be it.

I'll start searching for another library.

Thanks!
September 30, 2014 11:16PM
Thank you again for the help.

I ended up downloading arduino 0023 and the Sanguino IDE.

Finally worked once I updated the avrdude.conf file.

Now I just need to figure out why my steppers won't rotate. They are just buzzing.

Onward and upward! :-)
October 01, 2014 07:11AM
Nice, the buzzing is most likely coming from wrongly adjusted pots. Be very carefull when turning them its very easy to short out the whole board. Ideally you take something made from plastic to adjust them.
October 01, 2014 08:18AM
Yeah I have been playing with those but nothing helped. I've been using a metal screw driver but not I will find a plastic replacement. Thanks ;-)

I did do some research and have found that I was missing my 3 jumpers under each driver... And I haven't adjusted the calibration numbers for steps. So I will be trying that after work.

I did get a connection to the hot end (it heated up fast!) but I was not getting a voltage when I turned on the bed... Curious...

Time for some more research, I guess!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login