Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder hitting print and knocking X axis out of alignment

Posted by kayej 
Extruder hitting print and knocking X axis out of alignment
August 21, 2014 10:01AM
Wondering if any other folks are having this problem. Extruder nozzel hits print when moving and causes the x axis to mis steps and go out of sync. I have z lift at .3 and extruder retraction at .5. This is very frustrating. I have also slowed down the x movement in default max feedrate from 500 to 300 and default acceleration from 3000 to 1000. Thanks
Re: Extruder hitting print and knocking X axis out of alignment
August 21, 2014 01:56PM
what model printer?

depending on the printer - I would look at your z axis movement. skipping steps or not holding position.
August 21, 2014 03:36PM
Prusa I3X clone from DIY Tech Shop. Z axis appears to be ok.....layers look good etc. X carriage remains level. Got me stumped.
August 21, 2014 05:55PM
Well something is not right because that should never happen. The nozzle should always be above the print by whatever layer height you are using. If you are using .25 layer height, then the nozzle will be positioned .25mm above the last layer. The slicer should never cause a move across filament that has already been laid down on the current layer. Technically, you shouldn't even need the z lift setting. Even if the nozzle did drag across some filament that was just laid down, it shouldn't be able to stop the movement enough to skip steps, the nozzle would just drag across and leave a mark in the print. It sounds like your nozzle is being positioned way too low when this happens.

I have the I3A from DIYTechShop and I've never seen anything like that.
August 21, 2014 06:28PM
Can you post / check your steps per mm setting from your firmware? If it's out your nozzle may not be lifting as much as it thinks it is.

[3DKarma.com] - suppliers of quality, affordable 3D printer kits and filament for the UK market.
August 21, 2014 07:19PM
#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80,78.80,4000,760*1.1} // default steps per unit for Ultimaker

These are the Marlin firmware settings I downloaded from the DIY Tech Shop web page for my machine. Not sure if I should tweak them or not. Please advise. Thanks.
August 21, 2014 07:27PM
Would you check your settings and let me know what you have for step per unit??? Thanks
August 22, 2014 10:13AM
Thanks BRUCEHVN for the settings. I will give them a try and see what happens.
August 22, 2014 07:54PM
WOW folks!!! Who would have thought that extruder calibration was part of the problem. I had changed filament brands/color and had not recalibrated my extruder. Extruding 115mm on a 100mm call. Reflashed my firmware with the new calculations and all looks good. I guess too much plastic caused high spots that snagged the extruder and knocked everthing out of whack. Lesson learned.
February 07, 2017 10:46PM
Whatdd'ya know, three years later, same issue.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login