Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

stpper motors beep, but donot move

Posted by bikramjeet17 
stpper motors beep, but donot move
July 14, 2014 02:58AM
HI, i have just finished assembling my prusa mandel i2. The problem I am facing is on trying to move my motors only beep sound comes. Long beep sound, the motors move like only half a degree. Thats all they do. All 5 motors are doing the same . Please help
VDX
Re: stpper motors beep, but donot move
July 14, 2014 05:23AM
... try to reduce the speed ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
July 14, 2014 04:33PM
I would try Viktor's advice first, I am new and not sure what your issue might be.

If that doesn't work though, try M119 (?) to make sure the endstops are correctly configured. Consider using a multi-meter to carefully check the current on your stepper motors, perhaps they are too high or low.
July 14, 2014 10:57PM
tried reducing the speed but no change, still the beep. It feels as if motors are trying to move but cant. I tried without any load. Still all they do is make long beep.
When I send M119 i get following response
>>>m119
SENDING:M119
x_min:L y_min:L z_min:L

what i have noticed is, if i give move command repeatedly 8-9 times, the motors make usual beep noise but then move for like 5-6 revolutions.
its like, beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeppp....then the move and halt
next time if i give only give move command once, they only beep.
REgarding endstops: as i said i tried giving commands more number of time, during beep if i press the end stop, the motors stop making the noise.
Some times what happened is motors would continue to make noise, even if i disconnect prontoface. Its only after i kill power that they stop. if i turn the power back on in like 1 min, the same motor would still be making noise.
Sometimes the motors also grunt.
VDX
July 15, 2014 02:44AM
... this 'beeping' is most common with higher speeds and accelerations, then the motors can perform -- sometimes the multiplicator values for speed calculating are way off, so you'll start with much lower values.

The current could be to low for moving too, but then the beeping is barely noticeable for lack of energy.

Other less common issues are wiring mismatch or pulsing times not long enough to get stable conditions ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
July 15, 2014 04:19PM
If you are new at reprap and this is your 1st Printer stick all 3 jumpers between every stepper driver and try again, if you didn't do that. smiling smiley
July 15, 2014 11:16PM
Viktor
I have tried rotating the potentiometer on the polulu drivers both CCW and CW. and then checked . But still the same happens.
Regarding wiring mismatch. I read some where that i can find how to make a pair from the lot of 4 wires. Check resistance between 2 wires . the one which have a reading are a pair.
Then i can stick it up in 1a or 2a.
Is this approach correct?

I really have no clue how to set the pulse timings. Can you explain me the procedure

Also voltage at psu is 12.51 V . i tried finding V at motors.
For my extruder motor between 1A and 1B V is around 12.49. No reading between 2a-2b. Did i measure correctly?
Please advice, i am a complete noob in electronics
July 15, 2014 11:18PM
MW2MATZE

Yes this is my first build, and the electronics are making me go nuts.

As i said i am a complete noob in electronics, can you elaborate what jumper means and how to install them
July 16, 2014 01:12AM
Hi guys,
update is that my extruder, x and y motors are now moving
Turns out its a wiring issue + too much speed (thanks Viktor)
But their ,motion is very jerky. So much so that it literally moves my mandel in its direction of motion.
Also if i give extrude 5 mm filament, the extruder motor wont shut off in any condition. it just keeps moving.
Nothing happens if i turn motors off, or disconnect from prontoface. The extruder motor shuts of only when i disconnect psu
Please help

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2014 01:18AM by bikramjeet17.
A2
July 16, 2014 03:44AM
Some reference material for you to review:

How to wire a stepper motor: [www.automationtechnologiesinc.com]
Use a LED to identify wire pairs, (3 links): [www.youtube.com] [www.youtube.com] And [forums.reprap.org]
Tips for beginners: Stepper Motors, bipolar series gets up to speed faster than parallel [www.youtube.com]
Determining what wires to pair up on a stepper motor. Match coils for 8 wire stepper. [reprap.org]

Calibration of stepper motors [www.youtube.com]
How to measure Stepper Motor Voltage [forums.reprap.org]
Tuning and Speeds – Adjusting the Machine's Axes for Maximum Speed, (Kit Supplier) [solsylva.com]

Common Questions and Answers About Step Motors [web.archive.org]
Characteristics of a stepper motor/driver [www.euclidres.com]
Engineering Reference Guide (Stepper Motors, etc.) [web.archive.org]
Control of Stepping Motors A Tutorial. THE UNIVERSITY OF IOWA Department of Computer Science [homepage.cs.uiowa.edu]

Size the step motor with a 100% torque safety factor [www.automationdirect.com]
Motors that run near their rated torque will not last as long as those that do not. Motors should be chosen so that they will run at 40-60% of their torque rating. [web.archive.org]
High torque stepper motors need to run at higher voltages in order for the motor to reach its full potential. Increasing the voltage supplied to a motor increases the rate at which current rises in the windings of the motor. [web.archive.org]
Selecting a Stepping Motor [web.archive.org]
Stepper motor and driver selection [web.archive.org]
July 16, 2014 07:47AM
A2
How to wire a stepper motor: [www.automationtechnologiesinc.com]

Looks like you have some text template. Would you mind to replace external links with ones into our wiki? We have pretty good descriptions on e.g. stepper wiring: [www.reprap.org]

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

A2
July 16, 2014 08:21AM
Ok, I replaced that one with the link you supplied. Is there any more I should change?
Tks!
July 17, 2014 05:14AM
Excellent. Now, how do we get people into reading the wiki directly, instead of asking smiling smiley

.. I know, a years old question ... smiling smiley

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

July 18, 2014 10:14PM
I had a similar problem when assembling my prusa i3. With mine, the solution was that the code was telling the motors to microstep, and the pololus were set to full steps. See the datasheet (page 6) for step settings. Like mw2matze said, Make sure you have the jumpers on the pins under your pololus are set correctly. For most, it should be all three sets of pins (see the six pins?) under each pololu jumpered.
July 22, 2014 07:46PM
hi guys,
I am still stuck with jerky x,y and extruder motor. While Z works till speed .1 in prontoface, higher than that is just noise.

I have tried all possible wire combinations for Z but no solution.

I am still oblivious of how to jumper the pololu. when i google jumpers pololu. I get results to buy jumper cables.
Is that what you mean. SHould i use jumper cables?

If my code is for microstep and plolous are full step. How do i sync them?

Please help me out here. I need this printer in working condition asap

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2014 08:22PM by bikramjeet17.
July 23, 2014 12:36PM
Are you using a RAMPS board? under each polulu, between the rows of pins, there should be six pins, in three pairs. To set to microstepping, You need to take three pin jumpers and connect them. they just slot over each pair.
July 23, 2014 07:36PM
Hey I figured out that I have the same problem, have you referred to other posts to see if the troubleshooting there doesn't help(probrably won't)
August 03, 2014 06:28AM
dextor
would these work?
[www.ebay.in]
August 17, 2014 06:20AM
dextor here is the image
Attachments:
open | download - WP_20140817_004.jpg (202.8 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login