Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa Mendel i3 enclosure

Posted by foul_owl 
Prusa Mendel i3 enclosure
June 28, 2014 11:59PM
Hi folks,

So I was having some pretty severe cracking issues with my ABS prints. I tried enclosing my prusa mendel i3 in a cardboard box, and all the cracking issues went away. Here is my question: is there a design for a prusa i3 that has the box built in? Seems like a pretty essential feature to me. (I would rather not leave my printer in the cardboard box due to potential fire hazard)

Thanks!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2014 11:59PM by foul_owl.
Re: Prusa Mendel i3 enclosure
June 29, 2014 03:19AM
I had similar experiences and made an enclosure for my Mendel90 from dibond and acrylic.
I'm working on a new design with an enclosure at the moment:
[forums.reprap.org]
July 02, 2014 03:23PM
Awesome. I'm planning on building a Mendel90 as well, but in the mean time I would rather be able to keep using this i3.

Also, what's a good source for acrylic or plexiglass? Lowes has it for around $70 for a 3'x6' sheet o_O
July 02, 2014 05:57PM
The price is similar to my UK supplier. For my new printer I spent about $220 for the dibond and polycarbonate sheets.
That cost is small compared to wasted filament costs for me. For a very cheap enclosure you could soak cardboard in aluminium sulphate solution and dry it. The surface of the cardboard could additionally be covered with aluminium foil.
July 02, 2014 06:36PM
I was also considering doing:
1. Thin steel enclosure, cheaper than plexiglass and also gives some level of fire resistance.
2. 3d printed enclosure. (Probably in about 20 pieces or so) Extremely cheap, yet more of a fire hazard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2014 06:36PM by foul_owl.
July 03, 2014 07:01AM
3D printing an enclosure isn't cheap! Sheeting is cheaper by weight than filament.
July 07, 2014 08:26PM
Well...I just bought a filastruder, so it would potentially be much cheaper to 3d print a frame. Acrylic is looking like $70 for a 6'x3' sheet:
[www.lowes.com]

I think thin steel would be the best option though.

I just need some sort of plans. I find it hard to believe that no one has built an enclosed one yet!
July 10, 2014 11:41AM
A thought that I had, that might be worth looking into. I used to have a small business doing spray on bed liners for trucks. Similar to Rhino liner or LineX, but it was a low pressure system, so a lot less mess and waste. The material is very tough is a poly-urethane type. I need to check on the heat properties, but I it could be setup to spray the inside of a box with plywood sides, maybe plexiglass windows to see progress. It adds a lot of strength to things and can be as thin as 1/4 -1/2 inch to several inches thick. Wish I still had the machine!
July 11, 2014 04:05PM
If I'm going to be designing an enclosure, I want to start by forking this, correct?
[github.com]
July 22, 2014 03:35PM
Hi folks. Still wondering about this. Should I start from:
[github.com]

Or is there something more up to date?

Or does an enclosure design already exist?
July 23, 2014 11:05PM
For Ideas i found 2 examples with a guick google search.

Instructables: 3D printer enclosure... full instuctions to make an acrylic enclosure.

Thingiverse: Think3dPrint3d Lasercut Mendel90 enclosure.
This describes a plexi enclosure attached to the Gantry (similar to Prusa i3's.
July 24, 2014 02:34AM
Thanks for the info. I think that is very close to what I want to make.

I do want to make one that is specifically designed for the i3, and that has a flap in the front to accommodate autoprinting.

I created this github repo for a design that uses acrylic or steel sheets and 3d printed corners:
[github.com]

I'll see how much progress I can make on my own. I just didn't want to be duplicating any existing work specifically for the i3. In my mind the enclosure is an essential component, as it contains fumes and prevents ABS prints from cracking.
July 29, 2014 06:51PM
If anyone is interested, I made some progress on this today.
December 08, 2014 02:26PM
Hi foul_owl -
I'm very interested in seeing what you have come up with. My Prusa I3
is also in need of an enclosure, as it's next to impossible to print with
ABS with any success.

cheers - JD

Prusa I3 - Rework (home built)
w/ heated print bed. Borosilicate glass plate.
Ramps 1.4 board, Arduino 2650
Thermaltake 750watt power supply
Ulti-panel lcd controller
Marlin firmware
Cura - slicer/print software
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login