Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Crimping vs Soldering

Posted by 3DRapidClone 
Crimping vs Soldering
June 17, 2014 08:53PM
Is it recommended to using crimping ferrules or soldering for extending motor wires/thermistors/etc?
Re: Crimping vs Soldering
June 18, 2014 04:36AM
Solder them, then protect the join with heat shrink tubing.

June 18, 2014 07:00AM
Th only place where crimping is mandatory is at the thermistor legs, since solder has been reported to melt due to the heat from the hotend.....
June 19, 2014 09:42PM
vreihen
Th only place where crimping is mandatory is at the thermistor legs, since solder has been reported to melt due to the heat from the hotend.....

Exactly. Anything next to the hotend should be crimped.
June 20, 2014 12:00AM
tmorris9
vreihen

Exactly. Anything next to the hotend should be crimped.

How about heated bed - RAMPS wirings? they are hot too, right? ( just building my first printer and this is a interesting topic)
June 20, 2014 05:49AM
machapa
How about heated bed - RAMPS wirings? they are hot too, right? ( just building my first printer and this is a interesting topic)

Every PCB-based heated bed that I have seen has the wires and a power LED soldered to it, so I would take that as precedent. I have read suggestions not to "tin" the wires being attached to screw terminals on your controller board, because the solder prevents the screw from getting a good crush/bite on the wire.....
June 20, 2014 12:36PM
Which ever one you can perform properly should work. A poorly soldered joint will fail. A poorly crimped joint will fail.
I soldered all my connections because I have 20+ years of experience soldering... So, go with what you know...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login