Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Endstop problems

Posted by tobig11 
Endstop problems
May 30, 2014 08:49AM
When I have the endstops hookup the, x, y and z axis motors will only go in one directions, plus. Also when I try to go in minus it, using Pronterface, record endstop hit, but it was no where near the endstop Tried adjusting the motors power, but don't make difference. When I unplug the endstops the motors will go in both directions, but you have to go plus first to move in minus. Endstops are hooked up using " NC & C" To " S & - " on ramps. Also none ot the axis will home.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2014 08:52AM by tobig11.
Re: Endstop problems
May 30, 2014 09:26AM
It means you have them defined wrong in the firmware. There are two types of mechanical endstops- they are either open circuit when not activated, or closed circuit when not activated. If it's defined wrong then the firmware thinks they are being pressed when they're not, and vice versa. The way to confirm this is to have them attached, hold them down manually, and see if you can move both directions. If you can then move freely, they're defined wrong.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
May 30, 2014 10:12AM
Ok. When I hold them closed they work in both directions. What do I have to change in the firmware? For a point of information, I had them hooked to " NO" instead of "NC" and the end stops worked right, but people said you could burn something out. Is this true?
May 30, 2014 10:15AM
I haven't heard anything about that, I'd have to see a picture and look it up to find out. I'm not recognized with RAMPS, so they probably know what they're talking about.
What firmware are you using? Repetier is the easiest to change and upload in my personal experience.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
May 30, 2014 10:48AM
I'm using Marlin firmware with Arduino.
May 30, 2014 10:57AM
"Inverting End Stops – line 216

// The pullups are needed if you directly connect a mechanical endswitch between the signal and ground pins.
// set to true to invert the logic of the endstops.
const bool X_ENDSTOPS_INVERTING = false;
const bool Y_ENDSTOPS_INVERTING = false;
const bool Z_ENDSTOPS_INVERTING = false;

For a mechanical end stop that is wired as normally connected (NC), a digital signal of 1 will be read when an axis is in contact with the limit switch. In this case End stop inverting needs to be false. End stop inverting needs to be true if the mechanical end stop is wired as normally open (NO).

For optical end stops, you will need to refer to the suppliers specification or a previous configuration.h file like the one in the Marlin firmware.

You should test the homing command while the axis is positioned at the centre of the travel distance. If you find that the axis won’t move when the home command is sent, then you may have the logic incorrectly configured. Be ready to reset the motherboard or turn off the power to avoid axis crash. Before making any test, complete the Marlin firmware configuration as much as possible. If you can reach the end stops easily, you can trigger them early before the axis has completed it’s travel for a safe test."
From this guide, under Inverting Endstops.

May 30, 2014 10:58AM
Do you have the original firmware, or was it preinstalled?

May 30, 2014 11:49AM
I had to download it from, 3DCzar, whom I purchased the printer from, and then install it.
I have to go out now for a while to take care of some things. I will most likely not get to change the firware till tomorrow. I thank you for your help and will get back to you to let you know how it worked.
Thank you again, Ed
May 31, 2014 12:12PM
Hi
Good day. I changed the settings that you told me to from true to false on the min x,y,and z axis and they work now. I didn't change max ones.But now they home in the opposite direction they should. They go to minus instead of plus. I stopped them by activating the endstop by hand. How do I fix this.
The line number in my cofiguation h are difference then yours, your line 216 is my 281.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2014 08:40AM by tobig11.
June 01, 2014 05:35PM
I had this same issue when i was building my printer, I found this line 315

// ENDSTOP SETTINGS:
// Sets direction of endstops when homing; 1=MAX, -1=MIN
#define X_HOME_DIR -1
#define Y_HOME_DIR -1
#define Z_HOME_DIR -1

just change the direction to the one you need on your printer and it will change which way the the axis will move when you tell it to home smiling smiley

You may have to go and change the end stop inverting settings again.

Hope this helps

Harryk

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2014 05:43PM by HarryK.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login