Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printer makes large curves bumpy

Posted by Glow 
Printer makes large curves bumpy
May 14, 2014 06:44PM
So I recently finished a prusa i2 I started over a year ago. It uses generation 7 electronics and teacup firmware. It mostly prints great so far. However, on large curves I get small blobs of plastic that in the end give me the appearance of bumpy curves. I've attached a picture.

Can someone give me some direction on how to eliminate this? Is it acceleration/look ahead related?

Thanks!
Re: Printer makes large curves bumpy
May 15, 2014 01:25AM
Not all firmware has the same result while printing. I would try 'Sprinter' firmware.
Another possible cause is the slicer but frankly, I doubt it.
If you drew all objects yourself with 3D software, there also is a possible cause. Your software is not exporting your file correctly. If you print objects from other sources with the same result, forget about 3D software errors.

It's no mechanical problem because the bumps appear in both 'Y' and 'X' direction very regularly.

Chris
May 15, 2014 06:52AM
So far all but a couple things I've printed have just been grabbed off thingiverse (that picture included). I'll give a shot at an alternate firmware tonight, it's easy enough. I liked the philosophies I saw with gen7/teacup but whatever ends up working, I'm okay with. Also just so you/others know, I'm using slic3r. I agree I don't think it's the slicing or mechanical issues, I basically figured it was down to firmware.

Thanks for the advice
May 15, 2014 07:56AM
Is it possible the print head slows down at each of these bumps? It looks like raising the X_JERK and Y_JERK values would improve the situation. Like always with Teacup, the default values are very conservative.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

May 15, 2014 09:06AM
I was also thinking the head was slowing down at each change in curvature Traumflug - Although it's not something exaggerated that I can see just by watching it print. That's why I was thinking accel or look ahead. Currently I have 1500 m/s^2mm/s^2 acceleration and 100 mm/min for X/Y jerk. I was working on bumping up acceleration yesterday but then I had some problems that started slowing me down (I crashed through my x endstop).

Maybe the first thing I'll do is start bumping up XY jerk. Also just to throw more info out there, I'm printing at something like 60-70mm/s.

Thanks!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2014 01:17PM by Glow.
May 17, 2014 10:13PM
Throwing an update out there for anyone who may end up having a similar issue in the future. Increasing the max_jerk for XY solved my problem. Attached is a side-by-side picture of an object printed with 100 for max XY jerk (left) and 400 max XY jerk (right).

Thanks again, Traumflug
May 18, 2014 11:52PM
Thanks for the follow up! I was able to fix a similar problem thanks to your thread!
May 21, 2014 05:33AM
Hi Glow !

Where can i find max_XY jerk option in firmware ? I'm use a Marlin.
May 23, 2014 12:32AM
It's in Configuration.h

But if you have eeprom settings enabled, you can change it with M205 without having to recompile the firmware.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login