Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[SOLVED, THANKS!] So my axes home but...

Posted by drastic00 
[SOLVED, THANKS!] So my axes home but...
May 02, 2014 09:39PM
Hey All,
I recently was able to connect to [my first] Prusa i3 in Pronterface. I was able to make changes in Marlin and get the printer to home properly. 3 axes home button works, however individual axis home only make it travel a cm or so at each mouse press, until endstops trigger.

Also, When I try to manually move the axes in Pronterface, there is no response from the printer. Only the x axis responds in the negative direction and crashes into the home stop if I keep going. What am I doing wrong? Some endstop setting in Marlin that I missed or do not understand yet? A wiring issue (I hope not)?

Anyone else have this issue before?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2014 12:15AM by drastic00.
Re: So my axes home but...
May 03, 2014 12:31AM
Type M119 in pronterface to check the end stop status. None of them should be triggered, they should all be open. If any of them are triggered, this would explain your problem.
May 03, 2014 03:30AM
Put your X and Y axes in the middle of their travel and screw up the Z axis 10mm or so. What happens when you click the (all) Home button? Do they all move towards their endstops, X, Y then Z, recycle, then stop?
It does sound like an endstop problem - either in firmware, mechanically or wiring!

May 04, 2014 12:14AM
Istale
Type M119 in pronterface to check the end stop status. None of them should be triggered, they should all be open. If any of them are triggered, this would explain your problem.

Yes! Thank You! I followed the photo guide for assembly by Kliment. The issue was apparently (I have a cheap meter with no audible ohm/continuity detection; that'll be at the top of my shopping list now) that his switches have different terminals for NO/NC (either that or I had visual dyslexia when I wired the endstops :-) ). I simply moved my QDs and viola, all open.

***Incidentally, where might I find a list of Pronterface commands like this?*** Very helpful!

waitaki
Put your X and Y axes in the middle of their travel and screw up the Z axis 10mm or so. What happens when you click the (all) Home button? Do they all move towards their endstops, X, Y then Z, recycle, then stop?
It does sound like an endstop problem - either in firmware, mechanically or wiring!

Ah, yes Waitaki...I only thought it was homing correctly. When I moved everything away from home by hand and pressed 'home all,' each axis only moved about a cm. When I pressed the button repeatedly and finally got the axes to the endstops, then pressed home all again, it only appeared to home. Also, I found that I needed to reverse the connector for the z-axis. Thankfully, no rewiring needed.

You guys are awesome!!!

My first baby steps...
May 04, 2014 12:23AM
These are gcode commands, the language of the printer

for an over view [reprap.org]

But each firmware implements a slightly diffrent set.
For marlin its documented in the source code [github.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2014 03:05AM by Dust.
May 04, 2014 08:56AM
Thanks, Dust!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login