Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Motor too stiff

Posted by urbanzakapa 
Motor too stiff
April 30, 2014 08:24AM
Hi,
I built a Prusa Mendel recently but the Y axis motor doesn't move at all and just made a buzz sound; vibrate on its place only. But, when I try to spin the motor manually without connected to the pronterface, the motor seems to stiff to rotate. Does my problem related to the stiffness of the motor rotation and if yes how can I solve it? Or do I need to increase anything like current, voltage, etc. for the motor?

Desperately need help from experts.
Thanks in advance.
Re: Motor too stiff
April 30, 2014 12:30PM
I know it's a pain, but re-check your wiring again. Be sure no pins are loose in the connectors, etc.. How are you trying to spin the motor? By grabbing the motor pin or by moving the printer axis? Belt could be too tight or something like that?

When I had problems with the motors making noise and not moving it was my wiring. If nothing else, then yes- adjust the voltage.
May 01, 2014 12:12AM
If you disconnect power to the printer, can you then move the Y carriage easily? If so, then the lock-up you are experiencing is normal when it is powered up. I.e. if you command the Y axis to move (and you say it doesn't) then it will feel locked up. If you then press the "Motors Off" button in Pronterface, it will release all motors.
Ok, so now check your V ref on the stepper driver - it should be around 0.4 volts or as much as 0.8v for a stepstick driver

May 01, 2014 04:14PM
waitaki
If you disconnect power to the printer, can you then move the Y carriage easily? If so, then the lock-up you are experiencing is normal when it is powered up. I.e. if you command the Y axis to move (and you say it doesn't) then it will feel locked up. If you then press the "Motors Off" button in Pronterface, it will release all motors.
Ok, so now check your V ref on the stepper driver - it should be around 0.4 volts or as much as 0.8v for a stepstick driver

The problem for mine is eventhough I have disconnect everything, turning the motors still seems so stiff. I checked the stepper drivers and it is around 0.7++.
May 01, 2014 04:15PM
Istale
I know it's a pain, but re-check your wiring again. Be sure no pins are loose in the connectors, etc.. How are you trying to spin the motor? By grabbing the motor pin or by moving the printer axis? Belt could be too tight or something like that?

When I had problems with the motors making noise and not moving it was my wiring. If nothing else, then yes- adjust the voltage.

I try to move it by both grabbing the pin and pulling the belt and the same result, too stiff. Anymore idea?

Thanks.
May 02, 2014 03:00AM
Too stiff? How do you know it's too stiff? The belt is too tight? The belt is rubbing on a printed part?

Maybe the motor is defective/broken... Have you checked voltages? Have you tried adjusting the voltage?

Have you tried switching the stepper drivers?

Have you checked the wire resistance for continuity? Start trying to limit your variables one by one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2014 03:01AM by Istale.
May 02, 2014 06:37AM
Remove the belt from the motor - does it turn freely by hand now? You will feel the magnetic "stepping" as you turn it, but it should be quite easy. If its still tight, then you have a faulty motor, or a shorted winding.

May 05, 2014 12:40PM
Guys,
Amazingly the printers work in charm, no stiff motors, efficient endstop. Thanks everyone.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login