Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pronterface connected, but all motors doesn't move

Posted by urbanzakapa 
Pronterface connected, but all motors doesn't move
April 13, 2014 07:21PM
Hi,
I got a really hellish problem. After I connected the pronterface to my prusa mendel, I tried to click every home button(X,Y, and Z axis). But there are no moves from the motors except only a tiny sound came out from the Y axis motor. Any solution for that?
Re: Pronterface connected, but all motors doesn't move
April 14, 2014 06:40PM
Have you set the vref on the stepper drivers? If they are under-volted they won't move.
Have you set the steps per mm for each axis and the extruder in the firmware?
April 17, 2014 08:29AM
3dkarma
Have you set the vref on the stepper drivers? If they are under-volted they won't move.

I have set the value for each axis and extruder but I'm not sure about the vref on the stepper drivers. How can I set it up?
April 17, 2014 07:14PM
Make sure you have all the jumpers fitted under the driver chips.
To set the voltage of each of the stepper drivers put one test lead on the negative input of the power connector and touch the other lead in the centre of the tiny potentiometer on the driver board. Set it to around 0.4v initially, You could sharpen a wooden toothpick or something to make a flat blade to adjust it.

April 21, 2014 11:41AM
urbanzakapa
3dkarma

I have set the value for each axis and extruder but I'm not sure about the vref on the stepper drivers. How can I set it up?

http://www.nextdayreprap.co.uk/commissioning-reprap-prusa-mendel-build-manual/

You need to select 11.4 "Pololu stepper driver configuration" from the top tabs
April 21, 2014 05:13PM
waitaki
To set the voltage of each of the stepper drivers put one test lead on the negative input of the power connector and touch the other lead in the centre of the tiny potentiometer on the driver board. Set it to around 0.4v initially, You could sharpen a wooden toothpick or something to make a flat blade to adjust it.

I have set the Vref, and already connect it to the pronterface, but when I click the button to make it move, it doesn't move. Do you think there are any problems with the calibration.h in the arduino codes?
April 21, 2014 06:19PM
Hello all,

I just finished my first build, a Mendel90. I'm now in the electronics testing stage, and I've run into a couple of issues I hope someone can help me with. First, the motors. The X and Y motors do as they're supposed to in every direction including homing to their appropriate endstops. The Z motor, however, is another story. Initially, I went in the positive(i.e. Up) direction, starting with smaller increments and then moving to larger increments. Everything seemed good. I hit the "Home" button and it homed to the endstop located at the top of the printer. When I tried to move in the negative direction, though, the motor wouldn't respond. Turning the motors off, I backed the Z-axis down so that the endstop wasn't not activated, rechecked the endstop's response using M119, and confirmed that the endstop is responding how it should. Powering the motors back up, I tried again to move down the Z-axis, but nothing happened. I went up Z-axis a couple of increments without a problem. Curious, I hit 0.1+ (Z-axis moved up) followed by 0.1-(Z-axis moved down). Right, so I can get it to move down, but only after I've instructed it to move up. I did the same experiment with the 1mm and 10mm increments, each followed by the corresponding "down" command, and the motor responded each time. Still curious, I then hit 0.1+ followed by 10-, but the printer went down only 0.1. In other words, the down command, regardless of which increment you hit, mirrors the last positive command given. Ideas?

Second issue involves the heated bed. After testing the hot-end, which proved successful, I attempted to test the heating of the bed. Selecting 60C from the drop-down menu in Pronterface, I hit set, but I get an error message: [ERROR] Can't read from printer (disconnected?) (SerialException): call to ClearCommError failed; [ERROR] Can't write to printer (disconnected?) (SerialException): WriteFile failed ([Error 5] Access is denied.)

This repeats four times and the printer is disconnected. Disconnecting the mini-USB and reconnecting it allows me to reconnect the printer through Pronterface. I should note that the error message doesn't come immediately and, in fact, the bed begins to heat up in the 30 seconds or so before the first error message is delivered. Ideas?

Like many others here, I'm a noob so you may need to spell things out for me. tongue sticking out smiley Still, I'm not completely brain dead. winking smiley

Thanks in advance!
April 21, 2014 07:37PM
urbanzakapa
waitaki

I have set the Vref, and already connect it to the pronterface, but when I click the button to make it move, it doesn't move. Do you think there are any problems with the calibration.h in the arduino codes?

You didn't say whether you had fitted the jumpers under the driver boards?

April 29, 2014 09:30AM
waitaki
urbanzakapa
waitaki

You didn't say whether you had fitted the jumpers under the driver boards?

Is the jumpers the one that we fit in between the stepper driver and the RAMPS1.4? If it is, yes I hav already done that.
April 30, 2014 04:38AM
Yes, 3 for each motor driver for 1/16 microstepping. If you have stepstick drivers, set them to 0.8v and see how that goes.
What's the current situation with the printer?

April 30, 2014 06:17AM
waitaki
Yes, 3 for each motor driver for 1/16 microstepping. If you have stepstick drivers, set them to 0.8v and see how that goes.

I set to 0.7++ for every motors and I changed the stepper driver for X-axis which didn't give any response before and it works just fine. But, the Y-axis motor just vibrate and buzz on its place and no response from Z-axis. Can I send you my Arduino codes for you to check? I really don't have any idea for this problem.
Thanks.
April 30, 2014 06:35AM
This really sounds like your steppers are miss wired to me...

(while off) unplug a stepper motor, take a multmeter, set to ohm or contanuity test if its got it, and check the plug going to the motor (not the main board) that pins 1 and 2 are connected and pins 3 and 4 are connected.
May 01, 2014 04:12PM
waitaki

I just found out what is the jumpers, and gonna fit them on the RAMPS 1.4 later.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login