Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

One step skipped. One.

Posted by Egar 
One step skipped. One.
January 27, 2014 07:54PM
Hello everyone,

Since my last (first) post, where I wrote about my experience building a Prusa i3, I've been tweaking and testing a lot more, and I've been printing a lot of things. Everything works fine when I print little trinkets, but when I try to print more complex objects, many things start to fail. Among other things, lately I've been trying to print the parts for the i3 Rework.

I went from Cura to Slic3r, since I have more control, and adjusted different speeds for different processes. However, no matter what settings I use, I usually lose a step somewhere during the printing, always on the Y axis. ONE STEP, I mean, I stop it some time after that but I usually let it print for 3 or 4 layers more and no more steps are lost during that time. I can always hear the lost step. It's like a "clank" sound, which by this time has turned into a Pavlovian conditioning that makes me angry. The "clank", which happens usually during infill or when the Y axis goes high-freq, seems to come from the motor. But I tried giving it a little more current, to the point where it heats up a little (doesn't burn) but still, no change.

I mentioned on my previous post that the print-bed is steel, and I think the weight might be the issue. Is this possible? I have to spend money to fix this, and I can't afford anything right now, so I figured I'd ask here first. I know many people have had issues with the Y-axis too, but I have tried many of their solutions to no use.

Such a shame and everything, the prints look awesome! even when they fail, before that the quality is amazing.

Thanks in advance.
Re: One step skipped. One.
January 27, 2014 08:38PM
I've had some issues with the Y axis on my i3, things i tried were increasing the current (best to check with a multimeter), lowered the acceleration settings in the firmware and tightened the pulley on the motor shaft, i also pointed a fan at the stepper drivers by chance it was those that were over heating. Sadly in my case none of this worked as i had a faulty stepper driver. Ive seen people on here say about swaping the X and Y axis around to see if the problem switches to the other axis
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login